Your Ad Could Be Here

If - Bread Acoustic Cover

Hey

You didn’t do too badly at all. A bit too soft and laid back if anything. You’ve a nice voice at that low volume. I’m interested in hearing your voice with a bit more projection.

A little more practice on the guitar to be able to smoothly play would help, plus a bit more experimentation to get the mic placed in the ideal place to achieve balance between guitar and voice… or maybe project your voice a little more.

All in, pretty good!

How would you pronounce your name? I’m guessing that’s why you sign off as Zachary? When I was at University, years ago, the Singaporean students often adopted English names to avoid the lack of Western ability to pronounce Singaporean names, or if they heard them, their lack of ability to spell them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Noob

Hi John,

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback, those are things I'm ironing out at the moment and I would love to get your thoughts on future videos I post. I couldn't agree more. 

The "h" in my name is silent, that should make things a bit easier :) have you ever been to Singapore? 

Again, appreciate the thorough feedback!

4 hours ago, Hsiu Hsien Soh said:

Hi John,

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback, those are things I'm ironing out at the moment and I would love to get your thoughts on future videos I post. I couldn't agree more. 

The "h" in my name is silent, that should make things a bit easier :) have you ever been to Singapore? 

Again, appreciate the thorough feedback!

I am happy to help. The h is silent in my name too! Lol ;)

I’ve never been to Singapore but would love to visit. It seems to be quite a vibrant place.

If you post up your videos in new threads that would be great. I also recommend that you offer comments on other people’s videos too. For multiple reasons:

• By critiquing other people’s work you get to learn from their mistakes… and what they get right.
  • You improve your observation skills
  • You improve your analysis skills, while being free of any attachment to the work (we tend to be more precious with our own work, and that can get in the way of progress)
  • You become much better at finding solutions to problems
  • You learn from people from different schools of thought, which encourages experimentation and creativity
  • You are not just learning working on your own works, which means you can learn much faster
  • You make friends and collaborators
  • You encourage more people to comment on your works when you post them

I would encourage you to be as detailed as you can be when you offer critique. Look at the work from different perspectives. With a video of a song that might be the quality of the video, camera angle, sound quality and balance, length of video, lighting etc. You might also comment on various aspects of the performance. If an original song you might also comment on song form, melody, etc.

As a member offering critique you stand to gain more than a member posting work for critique. Obviously I would recommend that you do both!

Meanwhile, I look forward to the next work that you post.

Cheers

John

PS, which is your given (personal) name, as opposed to your family name etc? For me John is my given name and Moxey is my family name. I have a middle name I never use. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Noob

Haha, good one. :)

I'll be sure to do that, it's great being welcomed to a new community. 

Do let me know if (when?) you ever come to Singapore - I would be more than happy to meet up.

Soh would be my surname, while Hsiu Hsien would be my given name. 

Thanks for the warm welcome, John.

Zachary

1 hour ago, Hsiu Hsien Soh said:

Do let me know if (when?) you ever come to Singapore - I would be more than happy to meet up.

Brilliant! I will do. :)

It’ll feel strange calling you Zachary now! Lol Not to worry. Choices, choices :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Hsiu,

Good recording.

The volume is very low, and I am thinking that the song could be sung half a note higher.

I learned from John that the "connection" to the viewer is quite important.  You might want to position yourself to where you can sing to the camera (sing to somebody) once in a while.

Keep up the good work!

Rene Asologuitar

Hi. Volume too low, but nice arrangement and good vocal timbre/control suited to slow melodic ballads.

Besides general confidence (learn the song and play it without reading), the only thing I'd suggest is find a few different chord inversions, e.g. the arpeggios often hit the same top note. Only an issue because of the sparse arrangement.

Another song to really suit your style would be "Somewhere over the Rainbow", Eva Cassidy's version.

PS. This could be an age preference, but another suggestion is to NOT have your bedroom as the backdrop.

• Like 1