Your Ad Could Be Here

Vive La Différence

Reading, listening, and posting here has been very enlightening.  I have been fascinated by the songs, some of which have been very good, but more by having an insight into different people’s perceptions and processes as well as by their cognizance (or not) of what they do.

As I remarked to John last evening, “There is no Right or Wrong in Art although artlessness is always a possibility.”  I am a firm believer in the studies which show variety of taste in musical listening is in almost direct proportion to intelligence levels in most people.

Being here has also led to a journey of self discovery in things which I have never thought about regarding myself.

• My note choice and phrasing on lead guitar are much more heavily influenced by Jazz horn players than by Rock guitarists. ( One of my friends I have played with professionally said this was obvious.  I never knew as I had never thought about it before. )
  • My creation process for most, not all, numbers is almost exactly the reverse of the traditional.  I begin with the drums.  I start by recording a drum beat then add complementary percussion in 2-4 other tracks.  After I complete the parts for the drum score I either lay down a bass line or choose which instrument will carry the melody and begin it.

It is one big, mad, wonderful world out there with room for everyone and everything.

Edited by Clay Anderson Johnson
Punctuation
  • Like 3

Hey Clay

I’ve been involved with Songstuff for 21 years, and I still love it. I am still regularly surprised and inspired by people’s talent, skill, perspective and sense of purpose.

I’ll be the first to admit, that not everything I wanted Songstuff to achieve, not everything it could achieve, has been successful. At the same time, one of the things I think has been achieved has been is that our community is an open, honest and generally friendly place, where writers, composers, producers and performers can meet up and talk to their peers. They can explore their craft in a way that I think, in my unavoidably biased way, is pretty unique. Where it is not these things, I hope we resolve reported issues fairly and quickly.

Don’t get me wrong, there are unique and precious features about most online communities, but by the same token not all communities are equal. I like to think Songstuff is one of the better communities on the Internet, and it will always strive to be better.

Songstuff has in the past been very busy. Just now it’s pretty quiet, but that will change. We know several reasons that lead to it being quieter, and behind the scenes we have been fixing them. Communities go through cycles, often as they go through necessary changes. Songstuff has changed a lot in the last 3 years, and many of those changes have been in preparation for anticipated and necessary changes. At last we are almost at a point of fundamental change. Changes that I believe will only build upon the strengths of this community. The trick is, to scale up a community but preserve It’s identity, it’s personality, it’s ethics, and it’s attitude.

Can I say, as an admin your experience is great to hear Clay! I hope on some level that your experiences have been in some part related to the type of community we have here. That in part must reflect the performance and approach of the staff. It is useful to find out what we do, both right and wrong. While staff may not be directly responsible for your epiphanies, we must be doing something right! I’ll take it as a win! :D

• Like 3

• Editors

It is always a heart-warming thing to hear from community members about Songstuff & the forums and how it has benefited em like it has done for me over the decade. Thank you for the love and support.

3 hours ago, john said:

Songstuff has changed a lot in the last 3 years, and many of those changes have been in preparation for anticipated and necessary changes. At last we are almost at a point of fundamental change. Changes that I believe will only build upon the strengths of this community. The trick is, to scale up a community but preserve It’s identity, it’s personality, it’s ethics, and it’s attitude.

Hell yeah. And I'm so excited for all that we have in store for Songstuff, John!

2022 is definitely gonna be the year where we get a lot of the exciting things that's been in planning for years out to y'all. And maybe we can get a few more interns and staff members going too! 😅😆

• Like 3

15 hours ago, john said:

I’ll take it as a win!

You should take it as a win!

It is obvious a lot of hard work and dedication has taken place here to survive 21 years through changing times. 

The world is a much different place than when you began. I notice there is staring to be an increase in new memberships. 

Do an email blast to your entire database to encourage people who have dropped off to return.

The very nicest thing about this forum – and I have had greater and lesser technical involvement with it over these many years – is that it is by and about musicians.  Not politicians.  Not anyone who "has a bone to pick by being here."  Not anyone who's just looking for a bully pulpit.  Musicians.  Amateur, semi-pro, very serious, and "I really do make a living at it."  Each one very polite and respectful of each other.  (Thanks in part, no doubt, to the always-attentive moderators. Thank you.)

• Like 5