Your Ad Could Be Here

hello everyone

bri

Hi all

My name is Brian - bri for short -  and I've actually been a member here for round about 30 yrs, at which time I posted a song. It was entitled "You are my Destiny." Imagine my surprise, therefore, when a certain very well known "star" released a record with the same title, title melody, same key. All Im trying to say is... good as I believe this site to be, just PLEASE take great care with what you post musically.

ATB,

Bri

Hi Bri,

Did a search to see if I could find who released a song with the title of "you are my destiny". Almost all the songs that I saw were in reference to or covers of Paul Anka's song from the late 50's.   In general,

I totally agree that song writers need to be aware of the issues of public posting of creative works.  Did you have your song's lyrics and melody filed with a copyright office?  Did you post on your Soundcloud account or other platforms?  

Peggy

I don’t know why you posted this bri.

To read your original post in THIS topic it gives the impression you posted “You are my destiny” on Songstuff and it was then ripped off. But it wasn’t that at all, which leaves me puzzled why you would give that impression?

I’d draw your attention to this from your 2012 post:

When I wrote it, I thought I was the world's best songwriter. Sent this everywhere...Paul McCartney, Tamla, anywhere. Around ten years later, a certain A.N. Other (from Tamla) released a song with a fairly similar hook, I thought.”

According to your post in 2012, you shopped the song around everywhere you could think, MANY years before Songstuff existed (2000), and a decade after that an artist on Tamla (formed in 1959) released it.

Paul Anka released a song with the same title in 1957 on ABC Paramount, which was then re-released on Columbia. The words are very different. I can’t comment on the melody as your song link is no longer active. I can’t find another version that is remotely similar lyrically.

As you mention sending it to Paul McCartney, even if you are talking about 1965 Beatles era that puts the release of the rip off you talk of as about mid-1970’s. I can’t see a Tamla release with this song title any year, but especially not mid 70’s.