WHICH LAPTOP?

IS THIS SPEC ANY GOOD?

Intel Celeron D 336 2.8Ghz Processor

512Mb DDR Memory

80Gb Hard Disk Drive

128Mb Graphics Card

CD-RW recorder for creating audio CD's

Computer Keyboard and mouse

E-MU 0404 audio interface, providing high quality 24 bit inputs and outputs with MIDI I/O

Cakewalk music creator V2 software for audio recording and MIDI editing

Could I produce good quality recording with this?

Hey James

Ok you should check a few things:

1: Get as much RAM as you can, and I wouldn't recommend less than 1 GB. Check prices for your RAM at www.crucial.com, it might be cheaper than buying it as an upgrade to a new laptop package.

2: Make sure your hard disk is a ~7200rpm drive. Try and also budget for an external USB drive ~ 200GB. This will serve as additional storage so you don't fill up your laptop and ultimately slow it down.

3: Try and get an M class processor. Although the clock speeds appear slower than a celeron they are low power multi-core devices that have a high data through put and masses of internal cache.

4: An external mouse may be useful, but the keyboard is an un-needed cost.

5: Will Music creator allow you an upgrade path to full Sonar? I'm not sure.

6: Try and get a laptop with a large screen that supports high resolutions. This will allow you to get more information on the screen at the same time, reducing time wasted to scrolling and changing windows.

Lastly, when you get it maximise the RAM available to your music. When you add new software and it prompts you if you want a quick launch bar or similar, answer no. These are the little icons, which represent services, on the right hand side of your windows tool bar. Although you don't use them all the time they use up quite a lot of RAM cumulatively.

I hope this helps!

Cheers

John

Not yet. I'm moving flats in abiout a month so I figured that gave me plenty of time to figure out exactly what I need to get up and running!

WHAT ABOUT SOMETHING LIKE THIS?

SONY VAIO p4 2.8GHZ LAPTOP 80GIG HDD 1GIG RAM

Item Specifics - PC Laptops

Brand: Sony

Condition: Used

Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

Chip Type: Intel Pentium 4

Hard Drive Capacity: 80 GB

Memory (RAM): 1 GB

Screen Size: 15.4 inches

Primary Drive: DVD+/-RW

Features: Carrying Case, Firewire, Modem, Operating System, USB

Hey James

Have you picked one yet?

Cheers

John

Ok, I have made a decision. I've spent the last few days looking at what laptop would be best for me. I was adimant I wanted a laptop. But what is the point paying all this money when I can actually get a desktop computer that will do much more than a laptop, and cost me much less!!! I only wanted a laptop cos I thought it would be "cooler!" Whatever I end up buying will not leave my desk in my studio, so whats the point paying more. This was I will have much more money to spend on everything else I need!!!