Your Ad Could Be Here

WHAT ELSE DO I NEED?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The digi is a break out box, not a mixer, it comes with pro tools which is a virtual mixer/recorder program. the 001 is an older version

So if I buy cuebase with the MI4 it does the same?

What kind of mixer will I need? Do you have any good examples so I know what to look out for?

OKAY, HERE'S WHAT I HAVE SO FAR ON MY WANT LIST!!!!

1. SONY VAIO p4 2.8GHZ LAPTOP 80GIG HDD 1GIG RAM

Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

Chip Type: Intel Pentium 4

Hard Drive Capacity: 80 GB

Memory (RAM): 1 GB

Screen Size: 15.4 inches

Primary Drive: DVD+/-RW

Features: Carrying Case, Firewire, Modem, Operating System, USB

2. Steinberg System4 Bundle Cubase SL with MI4

3. ZOOM RFX 220 DIGITAL REVERB & MULTI EFFECTS UNIT (could this be my effects unit as well?)

4. Monitor Speakers

5. DIGIDESIGN DIGI 002 MIXER MUSIC PRODUCTION SYSTEM (Or Similiar!!)

6. STUDIOMASTER PBQ62 2x31 BAND GRAPHIC EQUALISER

7. dbx 266XL Compressor/gate

8. 2 x Condenser Microphones

9. Pop sheild

10. Somekind of mastering suite!! Can anyone recommend one?

How am I looking?

(Sorry for all the haslle!!!!!)

DOES THIS LIST LOOK LIKE WHAT I NEED TO START WITH, OR IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE?!!!

I'm guessing that doesn't incluide the laptop?

I wouldn't waste money on a laptop personally... If you want to do location recordings, you'd probably be better off buying a portable hard disk recorder...

Having a lot of hi-tech equipment with noiseless preamps and fairy dust by the hundred weight doesn't hurt, but the most important thing of all, and I cannot emphasise this enough, is education and experience... I'm not meaning to be patronizing, but I can see you're pretty new to this, so read every document on the tech section of this site, and when you've done that, go to the Sound on Sound site and read every back issue there, then come back here and ask questions on anything you're not sure of... Knowledge and experience are the key to sound recordings... An experienced engineer armed only with a microphone, an Equaliser, a reverb unit and an old four track will make a better recording than Joe Public off the street would in Abbey Road...

Don't be put off if this seems difficult and confusing at first... When I first saw the routing of the desk when I went to college, I just about shat bricks, but it's like anything else, once you get the hang of it, it becomes clear...

Edited by Prometheus

2 & 5 do the same thing if you want cuebase, lose the digi.

I would also get an external harddrive to record to or save to.

OOOHHHH so I don't actually need a mixer!!! I thought I did!!! Does it not benefit at all having one as well as using cuebase?

If I was to record live guitars, where, and how, would I plug them in?

Will the micophone plug into the mic input on the computer?

Or does the midi interface do both of these?

A mixing desk can wait if you're runnin low on cash. I mix on my pc. A desk is great to have but not needed right out of the gate

I agree, a desk can be lived without, but I would buy some kind of a desk, even it's one of the tiny Behringer ones that retail at about $50.00... This provides some pretty cool routing and phantom power, which will be essential if you want to use Capacitor (Condenser) mikes or DI boxes at some point in the future...

Edited by Prometheus

OOOHHHH so I don't actually need a mixer!!! I thought I did!!! Does it not benefit at all having one as well as using cuebase?

If I was to record live guitars, where, and how, would I plug them in?

Will the micophone plug into the mic input on the computer?

Or does the midi interface do both of these?

Forget about pluging microphones into MIDI ports, that's not going to happen. To record live guitars without a desk would not be ideal at all IMO... A DI'd (Directly Injected) guitar sound, unless it's run through an array of filters and effects, assaults the ears like a coin scraping on glass... I would definitely use an amp -> Mike -> Desk -> Recorder routing if possible to record a guitar, or at least use some kind of amp simulation...

I'd be quite happy using the one on the website link there... I've got quite a few Behringer units and I've never had any trouble with any of them...

If I bought a mixer, would I still need one of the below? (MI4)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...item=7385077785

Would the microphone just go into the mixing desk, and then into the computer?

Edited by jameswales

As long as your audio card has audio IO yes you could do this. Most cheap soundcards don't offer you much in the way of audio quality, or a variety of sampling rates in the convesrion from analog to digital.

You would also need to check how you get midi IO if you go with the fitted soundcard.

As long as your audio card has audio IO yes you could do this. Most cheap soundcards don't offer you much in the way of audio quality, or a variety of sampling rates in the convesrion from analog to digital.

You would also need to check how you get midi IO if you go with the fitted soundcard.

WHAT IS MIDI IO?

IS THE FOLLOWING LINK A GOOD MIDI IO:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/M-Audio-Delta-66-Dig...1QQcmdZViewItem

OR IS THIS A MIDI IO:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--STESYSTEM4

Edited by jameswales