Your Ad Could Be Here

What to do if there’s no input on your songs?

• Noob

I figured it’s very hard to spread the word about music if you are starting. But it surprised me how desperately silent it is when you have no input, other than family and friends. I recorded 11 songs in less than 4 months using GarageBand, turned them into an album, but if I had heard crickets I would have been be happy… To be fair, I had some likes and I have 3 followers in SoundCloud, some plays, but nothing else. How do you guys do it, if you’re a studio guy — not live artist or in a band? Would you care to give me your opinions? https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/AFcA6V3c4MeNNvCi8

Hi Renato.

Welcome to the obscurity of real life. There are millions of us churning out albums from home. This is on top of the mountain of many exquisitely performed/produced albums by highly talented artists that never get noticed. And in an ocean of past and existing great music.

If you ENJOY what you're doing and proud of the results then you're streets ahead of most of the population. ONE  follower is better than none!

If you don't perform in public, do some cheap advertising ... give album t-shirts/caps/mugs to friends, family and colleagues. Get more eyeballs with a bumper sticker on your car.

Even if music doesn't get you money and fame, it will leave you rich in spirit and a sense of personal achievement.

Cheers,

Greg

Edited by GregB
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Renato Jacobsen said:

I figured it’s very hard to spread the word about music if you are starting. But it surprised me how desperately silent it is when you have no input, other than family and friends. I recorded 11 songs in less than 4 months using GarageBand, turned them into an album, but if I had heard crickets I would have been be happy… To be fair, I had some likes and I have 3 followers in SoundCloud, some plays, but nothing else. How do you guys do it, if you’re a studio guy — not live artist or in a band? Would you care to give me your opinions? https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/AFcA6V3c4MeNNvCi8

hey Renato

It is frustrating. Sure you can get feedback from other artists, and that can be like being given a cool, I  fresh orange in the desert, but a lack of feedback from listeners is disquieting.

On a bright note they don’t hate it. The public is not the most tolerant and nor do they really hold back.

Another thing to consider, you are putting music out, releasing it. Listeners are there to be entertained, not give you feedback. Sure, it is fairly common to get feedback in some form, but there is no obligation on them to do so. There are many aspects of music that might induce listeners to give you feedback, and that includes you stimulating them to do so.

I guess you are doing another thing. Getting feedback from your peers. I would suggest posting your songs, one by one to our critique boards (not all at once either or you may annoy others posting their songs for critique only to get buried.).

Are you engaging your listeners? Making yourself available is an important aspect of performing. You get to meet your listeners.

The last thing is, are you getting the plays in the first place? Feedback largely depends on them hearing. Silence could be more to do with failed marketing than anything to do with the music itself.

• Noob

I greatly appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. I’ve been trying to hear from other people involved with music and, other than a friend, who is also a musician and was amazed with how the songs ended up, I hadn’t been successful so far. He really gave me some hope that I’m in the right direction, but it’s hard to believe when nobody comments — good or bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renato Jacobsen said:

I greatly appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. I’ve been trying to hear from other people involved with music and, other than a friend, who is also a musician and was amazed with how the songs ended up, I hadn’t been successful so far. He really gave me some hope that I’m in the right direction, but it’s hard to believe when nobody comments — good or bad.

Go beyond SoundCloud!  Go to CDBaby or Distrokid to put your songs in stores.  It is cheap and at least you put them in the actual marketplace in Amazon, Spotify, and all the other major online retail outlets.  I use Distrokid but research online and decide which fits your needs the best.

This no guarantee of success in sales but at least you have made a forward move rather than being stagnant.

8 hours ago, Renato Jacobsen said:

If you aren’t hearing from other artists, make sure:

That you review the works of your fellow artists. Put a reasonable effort into each. People are more likely to return the favour if they see that you are making an effort.

When people do reply to your posts that you reply to every single on. Try and engage them in conversation. They like to feel you respect and appreciate the effort they put in.

Favourable comments or not, take them with grace. Comments should be about the work or the performance. They are not personally putting you down, if you feel you are being unfairly treated on Songstuff, speak to a moderator.

Focus on being constructive. Ie conversations are about improving songs and skills.

Try to find out what people think and why they think it.

Love your song or hate…. Don’t take it personally. Everybody is allowed to have different taste. You too.

Follow the community rules. This is true posting on a forum, Facebook groups… songwriting groups… anywhere. There are rules within groups, that everybody in that groups is supposed to play by. If you don’t play by the rules other artists tend to dig their feet in and not respond to your posts.

I hope this helps.

Hey, Renato ... "until I stumbled upon this thread, I [of course] never knew your songs existed!"  So it goes.  However, having now listened to them all, I like them all!

Personally, I don't play the social-media game: I don't particularly look for other people's feedback. I just want to make good music and try to get it noticed.  Oddly enough, your posting on this forum was a tiny form of marketing, and I'm glad that you did it.  Now, create something for me to buy.