Your Ad Could Be Here

So, Elon Musk owns Twitter now. What does it mean for music, musicians and music marketing?

As a musician/artist/marketing  on Twitter, what do you see are the Pro's and Cons of the purchase?  What changes would you like to see made that could improve your presence, reach, marketing and promotion? 

Here are some of the issues that he has been talking about over the years (I'm sure there a many others):

- Adding an Edit button

- Removing spam bots and scams

- loosening content moderation

- Algorithms being open source 

- Focus on subscription revenue (he hates Twitter ads)

AND... he loves music and he moves fast ….

• Like 1

• Peggy changed the title to So, Elon Musk owns Twitter now. What does it mean for music, musicians and music marketing?

"That remains to be seen."  Obviously, he has the money to spend.  And now, obviously, he has spent it.  Let's all see what happens next.  "Buyer's remorse?"  Much too early to tell.

I never would have spent my money for "any such thing," but he did.  Let's all just wait to see what happens next.

Edited by MikeRobinson
  • Like 1

If he addresses just a few of the  fake followers, likes, and accounts it would be a step in the right direction. 

More parity in moderation would also be helpful. It opens the door to people that haven't wanted to use the platform because of the imbalance.  That in itself could start a whole new wave of listeners and artists joining.

• 2 weeks later...

A billionaire pays far too much for a social media platform he doesn't understand, disrupts it and it collapses - Murdoch buys MySpace...

Edited by Chris W

9 minutes ago, VoiceEx said:

I still can't add more links without having to 'shove' them into an intro. Elon wants to talk change? sure! Start with that 😅

I'm supposing he has a fairly good list in progress (or on hold) .. it could be on it :)

• 1 year later...
12 minutes ago, Kevinalvrado said:

The news of Elon Musk taking over Twitter has sparked my curiosity about its potential impact on the music community. As someone deeply involved with Twitter, I have my thoughts on what could be improved.

What thoughts do you have that X (Twitter) could do for improvimg the music community?  Are they those for music fans or artists/bands?

• Noob
On 8/5/2023 at 12:39 AM, Kevinalvrado said:

The news of Elon Musk taking over Twitter has sparked my curiosity about its potential impact on the music community. As someone deeply involved with Twitter, I have my thoughts on what could be improved.

The long-awaited Edit button would be a great addition, providing us with a chance to correct those annoying typos in our tweets. Eliminating spam bots and scams would clean up our feeds and make the platform more authentic. Oh, and speaking of dreams, I stumbled upon a way to enhance your online presence - buy Twitter PVA accounts. It might help you reach more fans and spread your music. Just a personal tip there!

He was/is in a relationship/married with/to Grimes, who writes, produces and engineers her own stuff, so she's one of us. I guess at least he's being advised in that area by somebody who knows what they're on about.

Edited by Glammerocity