Your Ad Could Be Here

Mersey - a cover of an old song by Pavlovs Dog from the 1970's. Testing vocal mixing

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was going to concentrate on getting a better mixed sound for my vocals. This is my first effort with a plan for mixing. The vocal mix includes: compression, EQ, pitch shift, reverb, delay and pitch correction. While I feel that this is an improvement, I am keen to listen to any comments from those of you with a trained ear as to how good a start this might be, or any comments on issues that still need correcting. I would appreciate any comments you have

Greg M

21 hours ago, Gtar Pkr said:

Tell us exactly HOW you're recording @Greg M

If you're trying to achieve that "open air karaoke club" effect, then I'd say you've nailed it! :)

I am a home recorder so limited in terms of resources, although that is not the reason why my sound is not refined. Musical tracks are recorded in a studio (not by me) and I am recording vocals to add to the music. I'm using a Shure SM58 mic to record the vocals through an interface. I'm mixing on Reaper using Reaper VSTs and add-ons that come with it. I'm trying to learn the secrets of mixing vocals from the internet, youtube etc, as well as leaning on the expertise of more experienced musicians. It is a long journey but I certainly want to sound better than "open air karaoke"

• Like 1

Well... Some would argue that you've got a better studio than me lol. I'm no pro, but for what it's worth...

Mic Address:

I use the same mic, have for many years. I tend to point the mic more at my chin than directly at my mouth to combat "Pops-Bops-and sibilance. I also use a nice dense "fuzzy" top. I will adjust the line gain with the mic resting right on my chin for singing normally, then pull the mic away just a bit when reaching for the higher "louder" notes. Mic address is important because it trains you to "level" your vox recording without relying heavily on compression effects. Also, keeping the mic close to your mouth tends to eliminate "room ambiance" in your recording. You also should be using headphones when recording your vox.

Effects:

Another reason why "mic address" is so important is because effects will not correct a poor recording. Effects only "add" to a recording. So, put on your headphones and get accustomed to recording your voice WITHOUT effects. A little line Eq to kill the extreme low end of your mic is OK, but be careful not to kill too much... effects and Eq comes later.

Effect Order:

This is wide open to debate and completely dependent upon the kind of effects you're using. But, "I" always Eq first! I Eq my vox track to sit nicely in the mix WITHOUT effects first. THEN, I'll add some mild but "quick" compression, a little stereo delay, and buss that to my overall room effect to match the mix.

Hope that helps :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gtar Pkr said:

Well... Some would argue that you've got a better studio than me lol. I'm no pro, but for what it's worth...

Mic Address:

I use the same mic, have for many years. I tend to point the mic more at my chin than directly at my mouth to combat "Pops-Bops-and sibilance. I also use a nice dense "fuzzy" top. I will adjust the line gain with the mic resting right on my chin for singing normally, then pull the mic away just a bit when reaching for the higher "louder" notes. Mic address is important because it trains you to "level" your vox recording without relying heavily on compression effects. Also, keeping the mic close to your mouth tends to eliminate "room ambiance" in your recording. You also should be using headphones when recording your vox.

Effects:

Another reason why "mic address" is so important is because effects will not correct a poor recording. Effects only "add" to a recording. So, put on your headphones and get accustomed to recording your voice WITHOUT effects. A little line Eq to kill the extreme low end of your mic is OK, but be careful not to kill too much... effects and Eq comes later.

Effect Order:

This is wide open to debate and completely dependent upon the kind of effects you're using. But, "I" always Eq first! I Eq my vox track to sit nicely in the mix WITHOUT effects first. THEN, I'll add some mild but "quick" compression, a little stereo delay, and buss that to my overall room effect to match the mix.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks for taking the time to help. I understand some of it but the rest I am learning. I will post other songs in the future so if you still want to know whether or not I'm improving, always happy to get feedback and suggestions. I do use headphones for all my recording, but the points about mic address sound like they might be very useful, cheers

• 1 month later...

Hi Greg M

It'd be useful to know how the individual components sound on their own.

Your topic title suggests that you are singing against a pre-recorded complete arrangement? 
If so, I'd suggest the following:

• provide an MP3 file (just one minute would suffice) of the unprocessed (no EQ, reverb, compression etc,) of:
    1. the arrangement
    2. your singing (unprocessed)
  • repost in "Music Production and Recording" and ask Members to:
    • comment on the raw materials
    • possible ways of processing them, and
    • post example results with explanations (e.g. EQ maps)

I would find this a quick fun challenge with only two 60-sec samples.

Cheers,
Greg B

16 hours ago, GregB said:

Hi Greg M

It'd be useful to know how the individual components sound on their own.

Your topic title suggests that you are singing against a pre-recorded complete arrangement? 
If so, I'd suggest the following:

• provide an MP3 file (just one minute would suffice) of the unprocessed (no EQ, reverb, compression etc,) of:
    1. the arrangement
    2. your singing (unprocessed)
  • repost in "Music Production and Recording" and ask Members to:
    • comment on the raw materials
    • possible ways of processing them, and
    • post example results with explanations (e.g. EQ maps)

I would find this a quick fun challenge with only two 60-sec samples.

Cheers,
Greg B

Hi Greg

I am literally just getting ready to go on holiday for a week but can do it when I get back

Greg M