Your Ad Could Be Here

UPDATE + YET MORE QUESTIONS!!!!!

Here's where I am at the moment. I have ordered a brand new computer with the follwing spec:

Processor Type Intel Pentium IV 3.0GHz CPU Prescott 800MHZ FSB

Motherboard Award Winning ECS 661GX/800-M7 i661GX Skt 775

Hard Disk 160 GB IDE 8MB lead free Cache

RAM Memory 1024MB DDR400 PC3200 RAM

Optical Drive 16x Dual Layer DVD +/- R/RW Drive

I have also ordered a Presonus Firebox Firewire audio interface with Cuebase LE and also a pair of studio monitors.

What I am having trouble with now is getting a keyboard. I have 200pounds and don't know what to get. If I was to get something like this m-audio website + specs, where abouts would I get my sounds for different instruments? Or does it actually have them? Would I also need to get a drum machine?

Or would I be best getting the following:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CASIO-Full-Sized-Key...1QQcmdZViewItem

Could I use any of the above keyboards to sequence in cuebase?

Sorry for all the questions, i'm still learning!!!

yep. ALL with touch response and a MIDI interface.

A S***load of good SOUNDS doesn't hurt one bit.

THE MAIN THINGEY: NO matter WHAT the keyboard IZ.... it ALL depends on "other stuff"... so you can't HACK IT with just the keys, you need MORE.

AND if you would stop and LISTEN for a SEC , you might GET somewhere... instead of poking around in the dark.

Bye.

H.

PLEASANT!

What is the "other stuff" you refer too?

Hey

Did I miss some posts or something? Where did all the insults come from? Starting your reply with shouting MORON to someone isn't the most friendly way to reply to someone. From what I see here it's completely uncalled for H. ??? When you are learning something, do you like being called STUPID?

James is asking some questions about something he doesn't know. A place we've all been. He's prepared to do the work to learn, but doesn't want to open a hole and chuck his money in while he learns.

To get back to your question James: I'll have a look about. You don't say if you are a piano player. If not the subtleties of a top notch keyboard surface would be lost on (touch sensitivity, piano action) you if all you want to do is enter notes into a midi track on cubase. Likewise, if you don't mind that you can only hear what you are playing when your PC is on, you only need a controller keyboard. By sacrificing the keyboards ability to produce it's own sounds you will get a better actual keyboard. It's a bit of a trade off.

If you are not a keyboard player, but intend gradually improving, and have no need of a keyboard for gigs, you might be as well getting a controller keyboard like these:

http://www.dv247.com/invt/26150

http://www.evolution.co.uk/products/evo_mk461c.htm

I hope this helps!

Cheers

John

Hey

Did I miss some posts or something? Where did all the insults come from? Starting your reply with shouting MORON to someone isn't the most friendly way to reply to someone. From what I see here it's completely uncalled for H. ??? When you are learning something, do you like being called STUPID?

H.,

Why the hell do you always stick your damn foot in your mouth. You like the taste of leather?

Anyway,

I will only say this, I am so glad I use a stand alone recording unit. That PC stuff seems like a lot of trouble.

Tom

James.... (not 007, I hope) You should pay more attention to GRAMMAR and not "saving wales"... I think what you are talking about is a "decent keyboard", and if SO, take a look at Roland products, which you may find very useful! I know I have!

Have a serene and peaceful day!

H.H. ;)

Ps. being annoying really doesn't get you anywhere, now does it? IF you want some answers, don't behave like a cave-man! And STOP SHOUTING!

Eh? You shouted before James!

Apparently so!!!!!!

I do have one more question. If I was buy the following keyboard, http://www.evolution.co.uk/products/evo_mk461c.htm

where would I get the sounds from?

You'd need to buy a sound module... I have never bought one of these since I tend to make very limited use of MIDI, and anyone who uses my studio who does want to record MIDI brings their own module...

It's maybe old stuff now, but I researched the EMU proteus range a couple of years back. You'd probably be able to pick that or something similar up for a reasonable price nowadays...

MIDI Technology Applications Graeme Young

Sound Module – The EMU Proteus 2500

The EMU Proteus 2500, has 24bit Digital and Analogue outputs, 128 notes of polyphony, with up to 32 channels of MIDI addressable. Instead of the standard In / Out / Thru configuration, the 2500 has a MIDI In and two MIDI Outs, either of which can be configured as Thru. This means that you can set up the onboard programmable knobs so that they can send data to either MIDI port, and control remote devices while leaving normal operation unaffected.

The digital output is selectable between SP-DIF and AES pro, and there is a USB connection allowing the device to be hot plugged into a computer. Two pairs of jack outputs, SUB 1 and SUB2 allow for a send / return loop to external processing devices, or they can be used with mono jacks to function as auxiliary outputs. There are also two footswitch inputs for pattern switching during playback, sequencer control and tap tempo.

The 2500 has over 40 programmable knobs and buttons, which allow ease of parameter tweaking, panning, and alteration of mix volumes in real time, with no need to scroll through arrays of menus and sub menus, this is excellent for real time, hands on control. This, combined with a sixteen-track sequencer, which allows real time recording, makes the 2500 an extremely powerful editing tool.

The Proteus’ 1200 internal waveforms are stored in 32Mb of Rom, which is expandable to 96Mb with EMU’s sound Rom’s. It is possible, with a flash Rom kit to load your own SIMMS… Also shipped with the machine are 100 MIDI sequences allowing users to play and modify existing sequences, as well as creating their own.

Connectivity through USB to a host computer allows the advantage of easy software updates from the Internet, and the product is shipped with EMU’s proprietary E-Loader program, allowing updates to the 2500’s operating system without having to deal with complex hardware changes and MIDI processes. This connectivity also makes the sequencer ideal for portability from one studio setup to another.

The Proteus is sold at an extremely good price, and is very powerful machine, an excellent addition to any MIDI Studio.

Edited by Prometheus

where would I get the sounds from?

with that PC you can easily use soft synths!!! way cheaper than hardware ones and you have a very broad variety, form analog sounds to FM synthesis and also samplers!!

please visit http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php/, there you can have a look to ALL softsynths and FX. check all instruments an effects in [VST (Win - ALL)] format, there are a LOT for free!! so, if your sound card supports ASIO drivers, you just nead a cheap controller keyboard and that's it!!

you don't need to spend cash in a hardware synth with cheesy sounds anymore, you can buy the best grand piano in the world for £179.00 GBP (inc VAT), so cheer up man, now is the best moment for home recording!!!

You'd need to buy a sound module... I have never bought one of these since I tend to make very limited use of MIDI, and anyone who uses my studio who does want to record MIDI brings their own module...

It's maybe old stuff now, but I researched the EMU proteus range a couple of years back. You'd probably be able to pick that or something similar up for a reasonable price nowadays...

hardware sound modules are very cheap at this moment, but because they are getting a bit obsolete...

I wouldn't recommend a hardware sound module unless you need to play some gigs without the PC, and in that case I would buy Receptor that allows you to take your softsynths and fx with you wherever you want to go.

hardware sound modules are very cheap at this moment, but because they are getting a bit obsolete...

I wouldn't recommend a hardware sound module unless you need to play some gigs without the PC, and in that case I would buy Receptor that allows you to take your softsynths and fx with you wherever you want to go.

Yeah, I'm sure you're right... I haven't used MIDI in a long time...

Hey

James is asking some questions about something he doesn't know. A place we've all been. He's prepared to do the work to learn, but doesn't want to open a hole and chuck his money in while he learns.

To get back to your question James: I'll have a look about. You don't say if you are a piano player. If not the subtleties of a top notch keyboard surface would be lost on (touch sensitivity, piano action) you if all you want to do is enter notes into a midi track on cubase. Likewise, if you don't mind that you can only hear what you are playing when your PC is on, you only need a controller keyboard. By sacrificing the keyboards ability to produce it's own sounds you will get a better actual keyboard. It's a bit of a trade off.

If you are not a keyboard player, but intend gradually improving, and have no need of a keyboard for gigs, you might be as well getting a controller keyboard like these:

http://www.dv247.com/invt/26150

http://www.evolution.co.uk/products/evo_mk461c.htm

I hope this helps!

Cheers

John

HOW ABOUT THE FOLLOWING FOR A HALF DECENT KEYBOARD FOR MY PC STUDIO?

Could I use to sequence?

Also, is this desent enough drum machine?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ZOOM-MRT-3-MICRO-RHY...1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers guys, you are being a great help!

Edited by jameswales

can't see the keyboard, the link don't work.

I think that you don't need a drum machine...

you can do drums better by software in the PC with VST instruments and Cubase.

I'll try again!!! Does this link work?

What are VST instruments?

Edited by jameswales

• 4 weeks later...