Your Ad Could Be Here

Singing in different languages?

• Editors

I primarily write & perform in English but as a session vocalist, I do sing in regional languages for local films and occasional ads. Earlier, I would think that my skills in one language doesn't necessarily translate to another. But in the past few years, those thoughts have been changing.  Do you prepare your voice differently when you're singing in two different languages? How so?  Are there different exercises or a different thought processes you choose to pursue while in such a circumstance? 

Would love to hear your thoughts!

• Like 1

Hey Mahesh

I think it depends on if I speak the other language, or at least how fluently I speak the language. Could I dream in that language without a conscious translation step?

In Western classical music, it is pretty common for singers to sing in foreign languages. French and English speakers frequently have to sing in Italian or German (the two most commonly used languages in opera).

Certainly my voice responds differently in each language, because I make different shapes with my mouth, I position my tongue differently, the tensions in my body are different. Where languages are close there are often large overlaps and small differences.

In saying that, there are a lot of common things too. Listening to my voice. The skill of observing my body. The control of my voice. My control of breath. The relaxation of tension. How emotion is manifest within performance via interpretation.

I have to prepare for different points of gymnastics for my mouth and tongue. Enunciation exercises are a little different. Breathing points can change.

Entering the right mind-space is exactly the same though. Many of the same errors exist. The way the voice breaks. The way tension affects so many aspects of the voice. While you cannot ignore the difference, it is wise to build upon the lessons of singing in one language versus another.

Out of interest… often singing in different languages can introduce idiosyncrasies of melody and technique because of common music techniques, such as melodic or harmonic norms of genres that match with one language or another. It can be interesting applying say Indian vocal gymnastics to say the English language, or Scots/Irish Gaelic vocal techniques to French pop music.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Hi.

I think it helps if you enjoy being a mimic and have developed an ear for accents ... although it's become woke to pillory anyone who attempts an accent!

I think we all did mimicry to some degree at school (teachers, friends, people on TV) until it was ground out of us by the career machinery which seems to reward the conformity and the lack of humour.

ANYWAY (end of rant) I'm currently doing a cover of German song that I translated into English.  But, as a surprise element, I open with a couple of lines in German.  I listened intently then wrote the sounds phonetically as meaningless English syllables.  Seemed to work fine and I figured this approach would actually save me time ... done once instead of remembering correct pronunciations in a different tongue while reading from the page when recording.

I'll post the audio in a week or so when the final production/mix is ready.

If of interest, here is the original German and my phonetic interpretation:

Du bist nicht da        an meiner seite

Dein sitz bleibt leer  und macht der freiheit platz

Doo biss nish da       ann miner ziter 

dine zits bly bleer     und markt der fryer platz

Gesundheit!

Greg

• Like 1

• Editors
On 8/27/2022 at 6:43 AM, john said:

Entering the right mind-space is exactly the same though. Many of the same errors exist. The way the voice breaks. The way tension affects so many aspects of the voice. While you cannot ignore the difference, it is wise to build upon the lessons of singing in one language versus another.

I'm very much of the same opinion, @john!

How the voice as a musical instrument is designed to work is the same for the general population with a human anatomy ie., the underlying physics that's enabling sound production. Just the technical capabilities, dimensions and applications of this instrument change across things like body type, understanding, language, musical tradition, emotional interpretation & so on.

This has led me to understand that there's room for learning, building & honing an underlying vocal technique(the way in which the voice works) that is capable of supporting a wide free range of diverse applications like different languages, styles, emotions, whatever the ears are capable of catching and choosing. Regardless of whether you wanna take the car to the park or over a ramp, the way the car works and how you operate it stays the same!

And this how is exactly where my focus lies; in those small but fundamental commonalities in how the voice works. By teaching my students how to look at their voice just as another instrument with volume, pitch, tone & expression being their 'controls'they are better able to connect with their voices regardless of language or musical direction.

You've raised some insightful thoughts and agree with you! Thanks for the comment bud.

Some may find this unusual maybe but I find this to be the most straightforward, objective way to offer vocal technique instruction & training that can cater to everybody!

• Editors
On 8/27/2022 at 6:46 PM, GregB said:

I think it helps if you enjoy being a mimic and have developed an ear for accents

So frikkin true! I feel there's an underlying belief in many that the experience they already have in using their voice (ie., most of the sounds they produce when they speak their language) is most of what the voice can do. People who are goofy and mimic and imitate various sounds are so much more open toexploring their natural capabilities. This can be so very useful for a singer! 

Looking forward to hearing that clip Greg!

On 8/27/2022 at 6:46 PM, GregB said:

although it's become woke to pillory anyone who attempts an accent!

I hear you BIG TIME!

• Editors
On 8/29/2022 at 2:23 AM, VoiceEx said:

I primarily write and preform in English and in my regional languages. That being said, I have always been fascinated by different cultures. And as such, if I do wish to preform or write in a language which I am not familiar with, in addition to traditional vocal exercises, there are a few "steps" I take in order to better familiarize myself with whatever foreign language I wish to use. This method may seem a bit like "overkill", but I find that it really helps with performance in the long run, as well as helping a great deal in learning how to properly utilize certain accents, phrases, syllables, and to adapt a writing style and performance style which make the most sense, in context.

The short version goes like this:

• I listen to educational linguistic audio books which teach how to speak the language itself. I'll do this on a daily basis, mostly when I go out for long walks, and whenever I get a chance. Doing that helps me a great deal, not only with learning how to understanding it, but also on how to try to use it. My main objective being, to attempt to being myself up to a point where I can at least hold a basic conversation.

• I'll watch online academic lectures about the history of the culture, its art, its music, its theater, its movies, its politics, policies, and overtime try to bring myself upto speed with their most current events by reading their news, and whatever online articles I can find to provide me with relevant context that's related to what I intend to preform or write about. Plus. I enjoy learning and studying what's going on in other places.

• I'll look into all the general entertainment charts (music, movies, art, etc) and industry related news, in whatever region the language itself is most commonly used. Id like to know whats hot, whats not, and to give me a lead on what sort of creative directions I should take, so that I may avoid the mistake of doing something thats inappropriate or "culturally insensitive".

• I'll read translated books. Everything from fictional novels, drama, thrillers, and even children's books. I'll also watch online interviews with authors of interest. Doing all that helps me a great deal with writing!

• Performance wise, I begin by listening to the most trendy and soulful regional music I can find. Listening to the original language being used in all its glory helps me to get a much better understanding on how to work on my pronunciations, creative leniency, familiarize myself general etiquette, creative expression, and to basically establish a sensible lyrical structure, and what sort of approach I should take with its performance.

• If i'm doing a cover song, I will look up musicians from many countries which already covered the song, and try to find what I think is the most ideal performance, and than study that thoughtfully. Doing this allows me to actually "pick" which language and performance style may work best for what i'm trying to do, and than mix and match elements to make it more my style.
  •  

Is this overkill? maybe. Who cares! Do you have any idea how many cool food recipes I found! That alone is totally worth it!😅

This is a WEALTH of information in understanding vocal expression to the level of naturalizing it to use! I respect your commitment & dedication to the curiosity of music. Cheers to you @VoiceEx. Though I do tend to indulge myself in similar 'over-killed' but immensely interesting pursuits, I've gained some new ideas to think of today because of you. :) 

• Thanks 1

Here is a sample of what I'm working on. I'll provide more explanation once it is released in a week or so.  Besides being a "different language", it is also a re-magined cover, as well as my first production using Studio One instead of Pro Tools.

The four segments in the sample are:

1) me singing the original German lyrics

2) me singing my English translation

3) the original German female vocal (a stem downtuned 2 semitones)

4) my English with bits of her German vocal as callbacks

Greg

Hi. Finally finished my German/English mashup :)  

Details posted here ...