Your Ad Could Be Here

12 albums in a year

Hi. I’m Tony from Sweden. I’m a songwriter, singer, producer and sometimes a guitarist.

I’ve made music my whole life. And until one year ago I always ended up at the same place. Overthinking EVERYTHING. This became a huge problem. Never finishing a song. Doing 800 vocal takes without being satisfied. Deleting instead of releasing and so on.

So last year I decided to cure this. So I promised my self to do one album a month for a year. Writing, recording, producing, mixing and releasing minimum 8 songs every month. Even if I just had one day available that month. (Being a dad to a 4yo and working full time.) 

and I did it! And it was the best thing I ever done! And Im never going to go back to overthinking everything. 
Music is happy again!

Just wanted to share this, I’m case you’re struggling like I did.

here is a link to the June album if you want to listen. All the albums are on Bandcamp and Spotify.

https://tonynaima.bandcamp.com/album/a-big-year-june

There is a world-wide movement called The RPM Challenge.  I think its expanded recently to something similar where you can write an album a month, but was traditionally write an album in the month of February.  I did it once, after they changed the rules and allowed users to write EP's (I did a five track 20minute EP).  That was enough for me in a month.  When I listen back to my EP, it's kind of garbage.  LOL. Generally speaking, I do have problems finishing stuff, but I think I'd rather things take what they take. I do admire people who can come up with a significant amount of content though.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Stewart Schmidt said:

That sounds just relentless to me, since I write only a few songs once every few months or so, if that, even, usually just a few at the times when I'm feeling creative, though.  Nice work, anyways!  It sounds like a cool project. 

I think the main thing was that I made a deadline and writing rules while I was practicing. And one of the things I still use everyday, not just in songwriting is that, when I wake up I start the day by doing something creative. 30min is enough and that makes everything better the whole day, no matter if it’s writing a song or paying bills. Kind of like exercising :)

6 hours ago, Rich Blenkinsopp said:

There is a world-wide movement called The RPM Challenge.  I think its expanded recently to something similar where you can write an album a month, but was traditionally write an album in the month of February.  I did it once, after they changed the rules and allowed users to write EP's (I did a five track 20minute EP).  That was enough for me in a month.  When I listen back to my EP, it's kind of garbage.  LOL. Generally speaking, I do have problems finishing stuff, but I think I'd rather things take what they take. I do admire people who can come up with a significant amount of content though.

Aha, never hear of that. Have to check it out. And I’m kind of happy when I’m listening back, I know that March and June was really good. 
man’s the main problem I had was the lyrics. That’s the one thing that is hard to speed up. So I cheated for to albums, March for example I had a friend that wrote all the lyrics. And I can hear that I had more time with  the details in a way that I didn’t have on the other albums. What’s your way of writing music, if you have a way?

• Like 1

Hi Tony.

ANYTHING that gets your mojo working is a 'good thing'.

For me, writing/recording music that I can be proud of is challenge enough, and I don't care how long it takes.

And I can't imagine asking friends and family to listen to TWELVE albums, let alone listen to them myself!  :)

Greg

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tony Naima said:

Aha, never hear of that. Have to check it out. And I’m kind of happy when I’m listening back, I know that March and June was really good. 
man’s the main problem I had was the lyrics. That’s the one thing that is hard to speed up. So I cheated for to albums, March for example I had a friend that wrote all the lyrics. And I can hear that I had more time with  the details in a way that I didn’t have on the other albums. What’s your way of writing music, if you have a way?

Nothing wrong with collaborating. It's not cheating. There aren't too many big names working entirely on their own. I use helpers like EZ Bass, EZ drummer and EZ keys because I don't play any of these instruments well (and bass and drums, I don't play at all). I used to think this was cheating, but now I see it as simply hiring a session player. I use my own chord progressions, melody line and put it all together in my own arrangement.  So even if I've used someone elses playing, its still my song. Most recently, I've picked up Synthesizer V which provides my vocals.  It's completely changed my ability to work on vocal songs (because I also don't sing). 

I write by looking for a seed, then seeing where it goes. I hardly ever start out with a specific course or concept, though I do tend to stick to fairly conventional forms, at least in vocal music. When I'm not inspired, I use my studio time (grand term: it's a tiny room with my computer in it) to practice techniques - I do everything in the box, so trying to get realistic sounding things, IMO requires technique in the same way as practicing a musical instrument does.  When I am inspired, it typically just flows, and I go with it. I get to 80% very quickly.  Then the last 20% of production takes forever. I constantly doubt my abilities, and constantly doubt whether what I have come up with is worth anyone's listen.  But I do it for myself, so if I can come back days later and think its okay, I've achieved what I set out to do.

I'm currently very deficient at writing lyrics. It's why I joined this forum, and I'm really hoping to make big improvements in that area over the next year or so. I'm a constant creative - I worked full time in music for 17 years, and had photography as a hobby.  Now I'm a full time photographer and music production is my hobby. Neither comes easy to me, but I am committed to both, and both make my brain happy.  

• Like 1

On 11/2/2022 at 5:58 PM, Tony Naima said:

Hi. I’m Tony from Sweden. I’m a songwriter, singer, producer and sometimes a guitarist.

I’ve made music my whole life. And until one year ago I always ended up at the same place. Overthinking EVERYTHING. This became a huge problem. Never finishing a song. Doing 800 vocal takes without being satisfied. Deleting instead of releasing and so on.

So last year I decided to cure this. So I promised my self to do one album a month for a year. Writing, recording, producing, mixing and releasing minimum 8 songs every month. Even if I just had one day available that month. (Being a dad to a 4yo and working full time.) 

and I did it! And it was the best thing I ever done! And Im never going to go back to overthinking everything. 
Music is happy again!

Just wanted to share this, I’m case you’re struggling like I did.

here is a link to the June album if you want to listen. All the albums are on Bandcamp and Spotify.

https://tonynaima.bandcamp.com/album/a-big-year-june

btw - had a listen to the start of your June album.  Bit short on ear time this morning, but will listen through the rest and some of your other stuff tonight. Like what I've heard so far.  Great production too. 

3 hours ago, GregB said:

Hi Tony.

For me, writing/recording music that I can be proud of is challenge enough, and I don't care how long it takes.

And I can't imagine asking friends and family to listen to TWELVE albums, let alone listen to them myself!  :)

Greg

Hehe, yeah i must confess that there's alot of songs that I don't really remember making.

And, yes. Even my mom cant listen to them all :)

And you're right, whatever works!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, buckoff said:

800 takes ?  I do 3 I'm done 

Some good songs man

yeah, it became insane. I was never satisfied. But, nowdays Im doin max 3-5. So happy.

And thanks alot!

I like your productivity idea. I remember reading that Dave Robinson, head of Stiff Records, made Elvis Costello write a song a day, possibly contractually. You'll write some dross but you'll also have ideas you can use with other ideas to create something worthwhile.

They Might Be Giants did a similar thing, writing something for their answering machine daily.

I love this idea! I’ve always admired prolific artists. It used to be common for artists to release two albums a year. 

It’s a great way to give yourself the freedom to not be perfect. Perfect can be the enemy of good. Just don’t go as far as buckethead (doesn’t he have like 300+ albums? 😄)

I just sampled your page and these tracks sound great! Good production and great vocals, I’m seriously impressed if all the tracks keep up the quality of the few I just checked out. I’m going to listen to more!

On 11/14/2022 at 12:55 AM, Brooks Robinson said:

I love this idea! I’ve always admired prolific artists. It used to be common for artists to release two albums a year. 

It’s a great way to give yourself the freedom to not be perfect. Perfect can be the enemy of good. Just don’t go as far as buckethead (doesn’t he have like 300+ albums? 😄)

I just sampled your page and these tracks sound great! Good production and great vocals, I’m seriously impressed if all the tracks keep up the quality of the few I just checked out. I’m going to listen to more!

Oh thank you! And yea, I totally agree about perfect becoming an enemy. And about the songs, there are at least two songs per album that im really happy about. The March album I think is my best, and the best song might be Silver mojo light, but don’t remember what album it’s on.

• Like 1

Hi and welcome to Songstuff Tony! A big ambition but I hear you. Procrastination has killed many, many viable projects.

• Thanks 1

Hey Tony,

Glad you seem to have gotten past the “over thinking it” issue.  Can I share the way I look at?  Maybe this will help you… I use to struggle with perfectionism in my music as well.  I think it may stem from lack of confidence in our musical abilities.  I got over that part of it a while back-don’t remember when.  I’m 56 now… As far as recording and production go, I don’t really care about perfection anymore.  I strive for excellence, but not perfection.  I’ve learned to let the quality of the song stand on its own.  If it’s a well written song, then perfection in recording and production doesn’t really matter as much, know what I mean?  Many Beatles’ songs don’t have “shimmering” studio production, but the strength of the songwriting stands on its own… So, just have fun with it!

Bill 

• Thanks 1

On 11/5/2022 at 7:14 AM, GregB said:

Hi Tony.

Greg

On 11/20/2022 at 4:31 AM, BillyH said:

Hey Tony,

Glad you seem to have gotten past the “over thinking it” issue.  Can I share the way I look at?  Maybe this will help you… I use to struggle with perfectionism in my music as well.  I think it may stem from lack of confidence in our musical abilities.  I got over that part of it a while back-don’t remember when.  I’m 56 now… As far as recording and production go, I don’t really care about perfection anymore.  I strive for excellence, but not perfection.  I’ve learned to let the quality of the song stand on its own.  If it’s a well written song, then perfection in recording and production doesn’t really matter as much, know what I mean?  Many Beatles’ songs don’t have “shimmering” studio production, but the strength of the songwriting stands on its own… So, just have fun with it!

Bill 

Oh yes, the fun part is the key part of it all. 

• Like 1