Your Ad Could Be Here

Managing Your image

Hey

This is an interesting topic, potentially revolutionary for the standard indie artist.

Managing your image need not be a deep dark art. After all, it is primarily about taking control over how you are perceived, moving as much perception of you to be based on what information you want someone to know about you versus what information about you is available to others accidentally.

Sure there is more to it than that, but fundamentally that is the core of image management.

The first thing I would highlight is that you become aware of the impression you give intentionally and unintentionally.

Secondly, you need to understand that you have different audiences, and not all information is for all audiences. 
Thirdly, you largely control the majority of information they will encounter until YOU accidentally tell them something.

Friends, family and colleagues leak info, but they mostly get that info from us. So, manage your own info.

Work out what audiences are where. Make it easy on yourself. Talk to specific audiences in specific locations.

Stay aware of who you are talking to, and who is in your audience.

Be aware: Different information is for different audiences.

Before you open your mouth, before you attend events, before you go on any stage (including internet platforms), make sure you are audience aware, then edit your message and how you plan to deliver it, accordingly.

You can still be very open. Being open does not mean sharing everything. Be smart. Otherwise please post your bank details, debit and credit card numbers along with your PIN numbers. No? Good. You already accept the principle!

Even when you let someone see “behind the scenes” that does not mean “warts and all”. Everything we let people see is stage managed to some extent. With video, that is one of the main uses for your edit button. There’s a reason for writing scripts, for multiple cameras, for rehearsal of absolutely anything!

The biggest distinction in audiences are making sure to distinguish between front of house and backstage. Do not mix the two especially backstage, unless it is exceptional, highly managed circumstances. Indie Artists mix these audiences online, all the time! Especially on social media. Especially on Twitter. I am not saying these are bad platforms. However, we use them very poorly.

What do you do (if anything) to manage your image?

Indies are responsible for all aspects of being an artist. Unfortunately this is often by neglect as indies almost always focus on the immediate fun bit and are unaware of the importance of different aspects of their career (amateur or professional) and that the buck stops with them. If they can’t be bothered, then massively important aspects of being an artist are being left to chance and luck.

I haven’t even touched on branding. Next time maybe.

I hope this helps someone. I’d love to talk it over with you.

I created this club to help indies with growing their fan base and the quality of the relationship they have with their fans. It’s a place for engaged artists to help each other. A group of like minded people willing to work together…

onwards and upwards!

• Like 2