Your Ad Could Be Here

AI In Your Signal Chain

AI in Music  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use AI in your music making?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure
  2. 2. If you do use AI, where? (Check all that apply)

• Lyric Writing
    • Music Composition
    • Instrumentation
    • Recording and Performance
    • Mixing and Production
    • Audio Editing
    • Mastering
  3. 3. How do you feel about the increased usage of AI in music creation? (Tick all that apply)

• Excited
    • Positive
    • Neutral
    • Negative
    • Worried

Hi

With so many developments in AI recently, I wondered how many of you were using AI? Please fill out my poll :)

I’d love to hear your feelings on AI in music in general.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

1. Do you use AI in your music making?

I'm not currently using an AI to make music, though I am planning on using it for specific things, many of which are not included in the poll, such as: product design, programing, developing applications, modding, videos, music videos, animation, 2D/3D modeling, and the list goes on.

2. If you do use AI, where?

Working properly with AI requires step by step, hands on human supervision. It is time consuming and the field itself is still at its infancy. Its important to keep that in mind, being as there are those who think that having an AI means removing all human involvement. AI is not an "instant problem solver", it is a tool which has a learning curve. There is also the matter of the potential AI regulations we are likely going to see in the near future. This will undoubtedly play a crucial role as well.

That being said, at first I will most likely be using the AI as a sort of "general assistant", which will help me with delegating certain tasks, orientations, scheduling, preforming analytics, cataloging, information processing, as well as assisting me with other production aspects such as marketing, strategizing, networking, moderation, PR, and helping me with managing some social media aspects. Basically, I consider AI as an "open ended" tool I can get creative with. A tool which will continue to improve, as time goes on.

In terms of the music itself, I intend for it to ease the burden from preforming some mandatory tasks such as: Mastering, Audio Editing, Mixing, and Referencing. AI is still very limited in some capacities, so I'm not in a hurry to incorporate it into everything.

3. How do you feel about the increased usage of AI in music creation?

My opinion may be a bit controversial since my feelings are rather neutral. Despite how quickly AI has advanced recently, I'm still not excited about it, nor am I worried that it will become a "human replacement" anytime soon. At the end of the day, it is a product in the earliest stages of its public release. It is far from being perfect and it still leaves much to be desired. In fact, speaking as a science fiction fan, I'd even consider our current AI as being somewhat "primitive". It certainly can't accomplish everything I'd like to do with it. Well, not yet anyway.

That being said, this technology will continue to evolve, whether or not mankind is ready for it. So to that end, I think its no longer a question about increased usage. But rather, Will artists really be able to afford to not using this technology? I think that its eventually going to reach the point where if your not 'using' it, then you will struggle to stay relevant. Especially in a world where literally anybody could make music, with AI driven campaigns and resources to boot.

• Like 1

My vocals are all unquestionably AI based virtual instruments, and they've single handedly changed what I do with my spare time. Very exciting. 

The term AI gets banded around a lot. I'm not sure what the qualifier is technically speaking. Tools like Izotope Ozone can analyze programatic material to come up with a suggested response. I'm not sure that really qualifies it as artificial intelligence though. If it is, it seems it would be pretty rudimentary. If Ozone is, then I guess something like Toontrack's EZkeys is too. That's been around since 2012.

I think songwriters and composers will always be around, because their purpose is not necessarily end-consumer focused. Work may whittle down a little, as AI takes over some tv/film/radio duties, but people will always want to write. I want to write no matter what a struggle it is for me. It's not about being famous, not about being recognized. It's about the activity itself that I love. I realize that's not a very profitable viewpoint. 

I think tools that help us to our best work are great. Letting it take over completely defeats the point for many who do write, but letting it help you achieve your goals... well, there's nothing wrong in that. It's just like working as part of a team.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I use stems, so I've seen how separation and isolation have improved. Now my free online goto, mvsep.com, gets better results than my paid-for apps like Izotope's Music Rebalance and Steinberg's SpectralLayers.

I worked with CGI for a while and the rule there was, "If it looks right, it is right." Jon Lassiter, the man behind Pixar's animation rise, told a story about one of his early shorts, Tin Toy. The head of the toy was shiny and the software was able to make the reflection of the room environment the toy was in mathematically correct, yet it didn't look right. He told his programmers to make the reflection four little white squares, like the reflection on a balloon in a comic. Suddenly it looked right, even though it was as wrong as wrong could be.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096273/mediaviewer/rm2161912320/?ref_=tt_md_11

I like to think AI music will be similar: in most cases it'll sound right enough that it doesn't matter who or how it was made but every now and again all it'll need is four little squares.

Edited by Glammerocity