Your Ad Could Be Here

Types of EQ

EQ Types  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What Types Of EQ Do You Use? (Tick all that apply)

• Graphic EQ
    • Parametric EQ
    • Shelving EQ
    • Linear-Phase EQ
    • Dynamic EQ
    • Mid-Side EQ
    • Semi-Parametric EQ
    • Not Sure
  2. 2. Do any of your EQs use AI as part of the processing?

• Yes, I use AI as part of my EQ processing
    • No, I don’t use AI as a part of my EQ processing
    • Not Sure

Hey

I am putting together an article about EQ. Please fill in my poll about EQ types and where and when you use them.

For reference, a dynamic EQ is like a hybrid EQ that also uses compressor-like functionality, applying EQ based on passing a threshold.

Cheers

John

I said I'm not sure about the AI thing. I think it needs defining. I use Ozone (on my master), and I use Neutron on channels quite often. They train themselves on material, but I'm not sure this goes as far as being termed AI. It's just analysis to me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I use Reaper as my DAW and I use ReaEQ when mixing my vocals. There are a number of EQ types on Reaper but I tend to stick to the basic one at the moment. I'm just doing things that I learned off the internet / youtube etc. that I think improve my voice on the recording

• Like 1

• Editors

I'm actually a big fan of sticking to the stock EQ plugins, especially ReaEQ by Reaper which is the DAW I use now.

I find that relying on my ears rather than constantly fiddling with knobs and settings helps me learn and understand the production and the process of EQing better. That being said, when it comes to treating live recordings, a basic EQ may not always cut it. So, I turn to Dynamic EQ, which helps control things in a much cleaner way instead of scooping out a whole part of the frequency spectrum all through the track. My all-time favourite plugin for this purpose is Nova by TDR, and the best part? It's completely free! TDR has some other cool free plugins that work amazingly. Definitely worth checking out. 

Sticking to the basics has really helped me hone my production skills, and now I feel a lot more confident using any plugin since I know better what it's doing to my sound.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The TDR plugins have an excellent rep and feature almost universally in those Best Free Plugins videos. But I like the graphic representation of Reaper's plugins, so I use those to get my settings, then reproduce them in TDR and tweak to taste. TBH most of the time the Reaper ones suffice but then I'm only making free mashups, not trying to sell an artist.