Your Ad Could Be Here

Tiktok Singing Challenges - Thoughts?

• Editors

I know Tiktok as a platform has security and privacy concerns that have been widely reported. But I guess this topic is about micro-content in general. There are a lot of cool “singing challenges” that have popped up on these platforms that I find interesting. Have you ever come across any? What do you think of them? 

• Like 1

I don't use TikTok though I am familiar with this sort of content. Well, unfortunately, my opinion about this sort of content is a bit conflicted.

On one hand, the value and reach of this content cannot be denied. It can also be fun to produce, if approached with a positive outlook and by accepting it for what it is. However, on the other hand, it I were to put the 'gain' aside, I'm afraid that this is not the kind of content that I would personally consume for fun.

And, yes, I am aware that this is one hell of a conflict of interests. Its kinda funny if you think about it 😅

Then again, I do wonder how many artists really wake up in the morning thinking to themselves:

"Oh man, is it 'Rehashing Tuesday' already? Gosh, so many trends to pick and choose from, but so little time. Well. The hell with clout - This is my idea of fun! Sec, let me just turn off the monetization real quick, and set this video on private.."

Common one joke 🤣

• Like 1

• Editors
On 4/25/2023 at 9:59 PM, VoiceEx said:

However, on the other hand, it I were to put the 'gain' aside, I'm afraid that this is not the kind of content that I would personally consume for fun.

Fair enough! I agree, it isn't for everybody. Tiktok is banned here anyways but some of these catch my eye on Youtube Shorts or Reels and I admit, I do curiously pause. Although, once I do that, I am FLOODED with other people doing the same trend and it can get annoying sometimes hearing the same sh**t. lol

On 4/25/2023 at 9:59 PM, VoiceEx said:

Then again, I do wonder how many artists really wake up in the morning thinking to themselves:

"Oh man, is it 'Rehashing Tuesday' already? Gosh, so many trends to pick and choose from, but so little time. Well. The hell with clout - This is my idea of fun! Sec, let me just turn off the monetization real quick, and set this video on private.."

You got that right bud lmao

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think anything that makes singing engaging and fun is generally a good idea. I haven’t resorted to trying one yet, but I am not against them by any means. Less relevant for artists, maybe, than isolated musicians or people just wanting to relate or enjoy something both light hearted and musical.

• Like 1

• Editors
7 minutes ago, john said:

I think anything that makes singing engaging and fun is generally a good idea. I haven’t resorted to trying one yet, but I am not against them by any means. Less relevant for artists, maybe, than isolated musicians or people just wanting to relate or enjoy something both light hearted and musical.

They can surely be very entertaining, sometimes addictive hehe. Where do you see these challenges and trends from an artist’s perspective though? Do you think there’s any benefit or use for an indie musician to pay attention to some of these ideas and maybe implement them in someway? Would you instead believe that it may hinder the artist in someway by creating and focusing on micro content?

1 hour ago, Mahesh said:

They can surely be very entertaining, sometimes addictive hehe. Where do you see these challenges and trends from an artist’s perspective though? Do you think there’s any benefit or use for an indie musician to pay attention to some of these ideas and maybe implement them in someway? Would you instead believe that it may hinder the artist in someway by creating and focusing on micro content?

Like many musical ideas, there is creative worth, skills development worth and marketing worth. For each of these areas there are experiments to be had to see how worthwhile they are, and different writers/artists/marketers will get very different results.

Just looking at a couple of ideas for each (each idea really spans all 3 areas. It’s down to your focus at any time.):

Creative

As “shorts” it gives you the ability to try loads of new styles and directions, quickly, and get some kind of reaction.

You can also get creative with image, branding and your overall presentation and to really see what works, what doesn’t and even then adjust, tweak etc to see how that changes.

Skills

As shorts they give you the opportunity to learn how to effectively record and produce at speed.

They also give you, as writer/artist, the opportunity to experiment directly with engagement with your songs and see how creative expression impacts that engagement.

Marketing

You can quickly try ideas with specific end goals. Can you maximise the number of challenge participation. Can you drive something to go viral? Can you push specific outcomes?

Can you drive increasing direct income? That means a registered song being played by many uptake performers and listened to by many more consumers. To do this effectively you need to understand and be able to trigger the mechanisms that turn consumers into performers.

From doing many experiments you might be able to give a meaningful answer, but otherwise the level of speculation means thought experiments a bit like answering “How long is a piece of string?” Impossible to answer meaningfully without additional information.

:)

• Like 2

Something else I forgot to mention…

The benefits of working with other artists:

Some of the biggest become most apparent when evaluating new strategies and tactics.

• Shared costs
  • Shared intelligence

You don’t need to be out there on your own.

Yes it means finding ways to move money between artists, but it isbn’t rocket science.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2023 at 7:43 PM, Mahesh said:

Fair enough! I agree, it isn't for everybody. Tiktok is banned here anyways but some of these catch my eye on Youtube Shorts or Reels and I admit, I do curiously pause. Although, once I do that, I am FLOODED with other people doing the same trend and it can get annoying sometimes hearing the same sh**t. lol

Hey, if the people enjoy preforming these challenges, while also turning a profit and increasing their reach, and if the audience is having fun, then by all means - more power to them!

But.. you know, after a long day's work I sometimes enjoy collapsing on the couch and chill with some tunes. And, call me crazy, but I prefer relaxing with songs which were intended to pass the 30 second mark 😅

43 minutes ago, VoiceEx said:

Hey, if the people enjoy preforming these challenges, while also turning a profit and increasing their reach, and if the audience is having fun, then by all means - more power to them!

But.. you know, after a long day's work I sometimes enjoy collapsing on the couch and chill with some tunes. And, call me crazy, but I prefer relaxing with songs which were intended to pass the 30 second mark 😅

You sir are showing off with your attention-spanist remarks. How do you think this makes those afflicted by ASD (Attention Span Deficit) feel? Oh? They’ve never paid attention long enough to be offended? That’s a bit handy!

• Haha 1

On 5/12/2023 at 2:54 AM, john said:

You sir are showing off with your attention-spanist remarks. How do you think this makes those afflicted by ASD (Attention Span Deficit) feel? Oh? They’ve never paid attention long enough to be offended? That’s a bit handy!

Excuse me? Did you just call me.. "Sir"? Oh now you've done it! Color me 'triggered'! 💢 My friend as a proud member of the RTI (Rich-Text Identity) community I would ask you to please keep your pronouns in check, before making any more these of these... outrageously presumptuous statements!

Edited by VoiceEx

3 hours ago, VoiceEx said:

Excuse me? Did you just call me.. "Sir"? Oh now you've done it! Color me 'triggered'! 💢 My friend as a proud member of the RTI (Rich-Text Identity) community I would ask you to please keep your pronouns in check, before making any more these of these... outrageously presumptuous statements!

Ok, let me reword this into a less triggering form…. You, Sir-ish-ish are showing off!

Better? 👼

;D

• Haha 1

On 5/15/2023 at 9:57 PM, john said:

Ok, let me reword this into a less triggering form…. You, Sir-ish-ish are showing off!

Better? 👼

;D

This.. is.. THIS what you call.. "BETTER"? 😱 You've.. you've just made it worse! Now you are attempting to redefine the identify, narrowing it down into bite sized 'quarter parts', suggesting an 'incomplete' identify or a confused mental mess! You need keep your cisgender agenda and privileges in check! Pronto! This is 2023, John. Get woke, or go broke, if you know what I mean! 💢

Yeah I can't do this anymore, I'm sorry 😅 I keep expecting someone random to pitch in and yell "GET ME THE MANAGER"🤣👍

• Like 1