Your Ad Could Be Here

He's the Greatest Dancer Verse: Where is the 1...?

OK, I feel silly with this question but I am in a debate with myself. Whilst writing a lead sheet for 'He's the Greatest Dancer' by Sister Sledge, I am hearing it one way but feel it should be written another. In short - where is the '1' in the verse? When I listen/play by feel I am playing with the 'Cm7' as where the '1' is, but the vocals in the verse make me think the '1' is on the Gm7 instead. Either way just doesn't sit well with me.

| Gm7 / Cm7 / | / / Dm7 / | - This is what I think it should be based on the vocal pattern in the verse but it just feels weird, probably because the phrasing of the guitar riff feels like it starts on the Cm7, but the phrasing of the vocals feels like it's on the Gm7.

|Cm7 / / / | Dm7 / Gm7 / | - This is what 'feels' right, and I think is right in the Chorus. This would start with an anacrusis with 2 beats of the Gm7 

I hope this makes sense, it's been a long time since a song has caught me off guard like this. What you you prefer if you were the one reading the chart?