Your Ad Could Be Here

Review your acoustic guitar

Hi

I'm about to invest in a new electro-acoustic guitar. I'd be interested to know what others here have (even if just a simple acoustic) and what they like / dislike about it - also whether it was cheap, medium or expensive would help to know too.

I have some ideas about what to get but am in that delicious state of not having decided yet! [smiley=bounce.gif]

Whatever you decide to get, go and play the one you are buying. If you can, play a few of your own songs on it. This way, you'll know if there is something you don't like! i.e. string height, fret width/height etc. If you can go back another day and play the same guitar again, even better!

Hi

I'm about to invest in a new electro-acoustic guitar. I'd be interested to know what others here have (even if just a simple acoustic) and what they like / dislike about it - also whether it was cheap, medium or expensive would help to know too.

I have some ideas about what to get but am in that delicious state of not having decided yet! [smiley=bounce.gif]

And take your existing one to the shop with you when you go to buy so that you can compare others to it. At least you know the good and bad bits about what you have - playing a new guitar with no point of comparison is really hard!

Hi Alistair

I have 2 yamaha Compass Series electro-acoustics CPX7 and CPX 8

Good things - Both are really comfortable to play, are nice looking semi-jumbo shapes and have a really good natural acoustic sound and sound great too when mic'd (and played by somebody who's a better guitarist that me!) and were good value for money when compared with similar Taks/Taylors.

The CPX 7 only has a piezo in the bridge - but this is fine for most band gigs. It's Cedar topped and has a warmer mellower tone nice for more laid back numbers

The CPX8 is spruce topped and has a much brighter naturally strident tone which is good for chordal rhythm work and cut through with a full band. The CPX 8 also has an adjustable gooseneck mic inside as well - this really does help on lower volume acoustic nights or recording direct etc because you get much more of the natural sound of the guitar - it does of course add to the risk of feedback. I use lute holes on both guitars live to help minimise feedback.

Now the downsides - I've had these guitars for four and two years respectively - The jack socket on many Yahamas is apparently very slightly larger than normal so small jacks can rattle around causing connection buzzes or even fall out - happen at an acoustic night when I didn't bring my own lead! (obviously good robust jacks solve this) The bridge piezos are also a bit sensitive to knocks so if you're a heavy handed beast of a player like me - you may be visiting a luthier more than you'd like (luckily for me my bass playing band mate is a luthier...)

Of the more reasonably priced Electros quite a few locals guys use Simon and Patrick SP6 Cedars and they sound amazingly good.

Anyway hope this helps.

JAGD

JAGD - it helps immensely, thanks for taking the time. My current guitar is a 1984 Yamaha FG-365SE and has precisely the electrics problem you describe. They still haven't sorted them out obviously!

Nick - I intend to take mine along, it's a good tip. You didn't answer the question but then I know what you have (A Tanglewood, A Yam FG-something and something you can only play Joni Mitchell songs on)

Steve - good advice. I have my eye on a Tak and hear that the model I like is great - if you get a good one. Which worries me enough to consider others.

Anyone else?

Of the more reasonably priced Electros quite a few locals guys use Simon and Patrick SP6 Cedars and they sound amazingly good

JAGD (sorry, what's your real name?), I have tried a few Cedar tops but the tone is too soft for my taste. I think they are more suited to finger pickers and I am more of a rhythm/ flatpicker player so I am looking for a big, warm sound. I'd have to thrash away at a cedar top to get the sound I wanted.

I'm not going to get rid of my Yamaha. I took it to a guitar shop at the weekend and, unplugged, it is easily as good as the two guitars I tried, a Takamine EG360, cedar top and a Tanglewood TW15. Plugged, it's useless. Both were dreadnoughts, like mine, so I may go for a different shape like a mini-jumbo. I don't think the smaller auditorium or concert shapes really suit me though I have tried a few (Freshman and Crafter). I tried a Simon and Patrick last year, I forget which, nice but no more than that. I know some people have one guitar for plugged and one for unplugged but I need one that is good at both.

This is turning into a guitar hunter's Blog. But the chase is better than the catch!

Hi Alistair,

My name's actually Jon(athan) but people tend to call me by my initials JAGD/JD. And there's too many Jo(h)n's on the site already. ;-)

I know what you mean about Cedar if you're a flatpicking strummer - though I've got one of each type (Cedar and Spruce topped) I like the warmth of Cedar or the projection of spruce depending on the song.

If you're looking for something reasonable, spruce topped and jumbo-style you could try an takamine eg523sc - should be able to pick one up for £350-60

Cheers

J.

Hi Alistair,

My name's actually Jon(athan) but people tend to call me by my initials JAGD/JD. And there's too many Jo(h)n's on the site already. ;-)

I know what you mean about Cedar if you're a flatpicking strummer - though I've got one of each type (Cedar and Spruce topped) I like the warmth of Cedar or the projection of spruce depending on the song.

If you're looking for something reasonable, spruce topped and jumbo-style you could try an takamine eg523sc - should be able to pick one up for £350-60

Cheers

J.

Well, JD, you say all the right things! Top of my list for a while now has been the Tak 523Sc. I have played a couple and like the combination of power and tone, unplugged or plugged. I have read a lot of reviews and generally those who have one love them but there are a few poor examples around so my worry is that I might not get a good one. Obviously I would play the example I bought but you don't always know enough about a guitar until months after. I think it is a good looking guitar too but worry that it is just a little, well, FLASH? I haven't seen one in a shop for less than £389 (£470 full price) but on the net I have seen one for £350. But I won't buy from the internet.

This week I have been mostly considering Yamahas. You must have put the idea into my head. Are the CPXs thin-bodied guitars? If so, aren't they lacking in tonal depth compared to a normal body?

I like the look of the Yamaha CJX12 (Country Jumbo) too.

Oh and you're right :D about too many Johns!

Well Alistair,

The CPXs are not as shallow as the APX series - so the acoustic tone and projection is quite good - and I've had positive comments at gigs from other musicians about the electro sound. The CJXs look and sound wonderful acoustically, bear in mind you don't have a cutaway - but I've not played one plugged in - and as I mentioned before I'm a little dubious about yahamas in general now becuase of piezo and jack socket problems.

JD

I took the plunge! more to follow! [smiley=acoustic.gif]

I bought my first new electro-acoustic guitar in 22 years on Saturday.

I went to a local dealer which has a good selection, it's quite quiet and good service. I went in thinking I might buy a Takemine EG523SC Jumbo though some doubt had crept in recently. I was also interested in Yamaha's electro acoustic CPX5. They were the favourites.

I played 6 different guitars, taking the total I have tried out over recent months to over 20. I'd say within 20 minutes I knew I wasn't going to buy the Takemine. I'd tried one several times but compared to others it sounded brittle and the action felt too high. The Yamaha did nothing for me at all, dull and lifeless, compared to my own Yamaha which I had taken with me - I bought that for £200 in 1984, I think I got a bargain as it compared well to £400-500 guitars I was trying out. I tried a cedar top Lamaq which was better, nice fingerboard but again, it didn't have the sound I wanted. Then a Schecter, same result.

Then I tried a Tanglewood TW49, which is a mini jumbo, black, cedar-topped. Very nice sound, very good looking. But I have had a black guitar before, my first acoustic, and they show up finger marks something terrible. But it was a contender.

And then I came to a Tanglewood TW58-NAT which is a jumbo, solid spruce top, mahogany back and sides, German electronics. Great fingerboard, nice rich tone ( a big sound) and I KNEW IT WAS THE ONE. Which is funny because it wasn't on the list. I'd tried several Tanglewoods (British make but made in Taiwan obviously) and always thought they held up well against anything else without ever being terribly excited by specific ones.Then I plugged in the shortlisted guitars and the contest was over and chose the TW58. I got 20% off the guitar and the case which was good.

It has a solid Engelman Spruce top, solid mahogany back, laminated mahogany sides, mahogany neck, rosewood fingerboard, mother of pearl inlays and binding, Shadow P7 preamp and EQ and a big jumbo sound, which will complement the more rounded sound of my Yamaha.

I left the shop about 3 hours after I went in knowing I had bought the right guitar even though during months of research I had never even heard of it. No regrets about the Takemine, I think I was too impressed by looks and the Tanglewood looks better anyway - have a look at the link below.

Tanglewood TW58-NAT

Thanks to all for advice.

• 2 years later...
  • Noob

listen, forgive me for spamming but slightly, but if you want a guitar hunter/tech's blog go to a site I'm on here, cause there's enough information on there you can sift through for hours. there are a lot of trades and recommendations and everything..someone was selling a 12 string Yamaha last time I checked... anyway, enjoy and I hope this helped you out a bit

• 4 weeks later...

You did the best thing I reckon Al, keep an open mind. Playing is better than reviews can ever be.