Your Ad Could Be Here

Your Top Independent Artists In 2023

IMG_6821.webp

Hi Guys

Who are your top independent artists in 2023 and why?

For me, my number one, has to be Ren Gill, aka Ren.

Sure he is highly talented as a writer, player, singer and rapper, but I love his creativity, adventurous spirit and drive. He’s put a creative spin on rap that is shaking up hip hop at a grassroots level. More than anything he shakes up intent, language, subjects, respect, vibe and sheer density of ideas.

Awesome.

As an aside, I am also very pleasantly surprised that his marketing approach could easily have been built on the Songstuff marketing playbook (being fair it’s very unlikely as it’s unreleased in its current ebook form. Bits of the Songstuff approach have been spoken about on our boards, but I highly doubt Ren has seen those conversations.). The good news is his approach validates many of our strategies and techniques. We have plenty of others he doesn’t use!

I’ve been going down the Ren rabbit hole since the end of last year, and it’s introduced me to a whole raft of other great artists (more on them in upcoming posts). 

Who do you like? Why do you like them?

Cheers

John

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Editors

Oh I like this topic because I've discovered or continued to enjoy some incredible musicians this year. 

1. Lizzy McAlpine

2. Jacob Collier - Every volume of the Djesse series of records is a beautiful journey on its own. I'm seeing him live in town next month, looking forward to it!

3. Lawrence

4. Tiny Habits - Their ability to achieve perfect and precise unision and then blossoming into beautiful harmonies - it's just captivating to me as a singer and vocal coach. Just beautiful musicality and skill coming together!

5. MARO

• Like 1