Your Ad Could Be Here

If you could talk to...

Hi Gang

If you could talk to any single musician/songwriter/artist/producer, in a long 1 to 1 conversation, who would it be and why?

With me, I'd choose David Bowie. He loved art for art's sake, he was intelligent, a great lyricist and composer, as well as a multi-instrumentalist, he helped shape music as it is today, and he lived through so many re-inventions of himself as well as some hugely exciting times for the music industry and the world at large. Bowie has worked with an impressive range of other talent and lived within so many music and art scenes.

Add to that, Bowie was such an engaging and forthcoming kind of guy. I could learn so much from him.

Cheers

John

• 3 weeks later...

Lowell George of Little Feat. If I could talk to him he'd still be alive and we'd have had a lot more of his magnificence. Great singer, songwriter, slide guitarist and producer, so a lot to discuss.

• Like 2

Being practical/logical, I've never gelled with "who would you talk to?" or "who would you co-write with?" 

• How long would we have together for a meaningful conversation? 
  • Why would they spend more than a 5-sec "hello" ... what's in it for them?
  • Many talk-show hosts/podcasters can't get the guests they want.
    So WHY would anyone good want to talk to ME?
  • If they did, I'd likely be over-awed and be unable to get anything worthwhile from the opportunity
  • Experiences being so different, there's very little we'd have in common. What the hell would we talk ABOUT? 
  • It takes two to tango and personalities are important for enjoyable/inetresting conversation ... especially with a stranger
  • If they are an important influence, something they may say as an offhand remark (or even a considered opinion) could really CRUSH you as a creative

Many, many people have said "never meet your heroes".

Greg B

10 hours ago, GregB said:

Being practical/logical, I've never gelled with "who would you talk to?" or "who would you co-write with?" 

• How long would we have together for a meaningful conversation? 
  • Why would they spend more than a 5-sec "hello" ... what's in it for them?
  • Many talk-show hosts/podcasters can't get the guests they want.
    So WHY would anyone good want to talk to ME?
  • If they did, I'd likely be over-awed and be unable to get anything worthwhile from the opportunity
  • Experiences being so different, there's very little we'd have in common. What the hell would we talk ABOUT? 
  • It takes two to tango and personalities are important for enjoyable/inetresting conversation ... especially with a stranger
  • If they are an important influence, something they may say as an offhand remark (or even a considered opinion) could really CRUSH you as a creative

Many, many people have said "never meet your heroes".

Greg B

I was really looking for you to suspend reality for a moment. That’s one reason why I chose David Bowie. Were I to talk to him now, it would be a pretty one sided conversation!

You could be stranded in a Costa while your partners were off clothes shopping, snowed in at ski lodge, their car broke down outside your house or holiday home… whatever scenario floats your boat. The important part is that you caught them in a particularly sharing mood with time on their hands with them actively looking for connection.

In part it was just interest in who people would choose and why, but perhaps also what information would they be looking for?

What it isn’t for is for you to reveal your highly detailed plans on how you intended to kidnap Robert Plant, tie him up while you find ways and means to persuade him to talk about the inner workings of Led Zeppelin. However, tomorrow’s question might now be “Explain, in detail, how you would kidnap Robert Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones and persuade them to play a one-off gig at a venue local to you with you going to the post gig party and of course you get to jam with the lads and all the march they’ve ever released.” A similar question about Pink Floyd comes the next day!

:)

Or you can just get hung up on the reality bit lol

10 hours ago, john said:

... kidnap Robert Plant ...

well, kidnapping WOULD definitely do the job, especially if the victim (one's chosen artist) understood they would never be released unless they coughed up answers to all your questions ... which would take a few days to cover all the things I'd be interested in knowing.

Sorry man, I'm just too practical to consider your original premise, plus similar ones like:

• what would you do if you were given 1/10/100  million in cash
  • if you could do one thing to change the world ... 
  • if you could get the PM to do one thing ...

if, if, if, ....

If MI5/CIA trawl websites for problematic discussions, remember it was YOU who brought up kidnapping!! 😂

PS. I didn't mean to bring down your topic of conversation. I responded with a real/considered response (as if we were having a face-to-face conversation).

Greg 👍

Edited by GregB
  • Like 1