Your Ad Could Be Here

Idiomatic?

In composition and arranging, there's a term "idiomatic" which is used to vaguely describe writing for the strength of the instruments you're writing for. It has multiple components like writing in a comfortable range, with scaler intervals, and sometimes writing in such a way that makes for easy movement of whatever generates the musical notes (eg, fingerings on strings, valve combinations on brass instruments etc...). What I'm trying to figure out, is a similar term that is used for voice when song-writing, that gives rise to a memorable melody - in particular, placement of syllables on obvious places rhythmically to give natural emphasis, and also using regular scaler intervals that are easy to sing. As far as I'm concerned, idiomatic does it, but when I try to research it, I can't find anything on it. So, I'm just wondering if you know what the hell I'm talking about, and is it known as something other than idiomatic?

• Like 1

You probably know this, but, just for clarity, idiomatic commonly applies to a language, it isn’t exclusive to music. It just means full of idioms.

In written language an idiom is an expression where the meaning is not predictable from the normal understanding of the word/elements that make it up.

For example, “kill two birds with one stone” or “it’s a piece of cake”.

Idiomatic writing, at least in terms of music, is when it is written for a specific instrument, in a way that takes advantage of that instrument's idiosyncrasies and particular capabilities… and that includes the voice.

I thought you might find this an interesting read:

https://theidiomaticorchestra.net/idiomatic-practice/

According to the Semantic Scholar “Like spoken utterances, musical passages can be characterized as more or less idiomatic depending on the extent to which the music relies on instrument-specific effects.”

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks John - I'll be reading through that site (for other reasons!), but I'm looking for some specific theory around writing - in particular - pop vocal melodies that are memorable because they are, I guess to some extent naturally placed rhythmically, and melodically.  Here's an example of what I mean...  compare the two samples here. They use the same backing and more or less the same pitches, but different rhythm.  The second is much more memorable has a smooth natural flow, and would be much easier to sing accurately. Its the term for the kind of writing represented in the second sample that I'm trying to think of (and to be clear - this is one video, with two samples on it - having trouble with uploads on SongStuff again, so can't add them directly to my post).  

Edited by MisterB

• 2 weeks later...

In terms of rhythm, I think the word I was missing is cadence. Still not sure about the melodic side of it, but I think that's more... um, something. 🤔