Your Ad Could Be Here

Gear Essentials on a Budget - What's Your Setup?

Hi Gang

As we all find our way in music video production, we regularly face the common challenge of working within budget constraints. Whether you're just starting out or simply looking to minimize costs on a project, the gear you choose plays a pivotal role to not breaking the bank.

What's your go-to gear setup for shooting a music video on a budget?

I'm curious to learn about the cameras, lenses, lighting, and any DIY rigs that you've found give you the best bang for your buck. How do you make the most of limited resources to still produce a visually stunning piece? Do you have any favorite budget-friendly equipment or hacks that have become staples in your production kit?

Sharing our experiences can help us all discover new tools and techniques to enhance our work while keeping costs down. Whether it's a hidden gem of a lens, a creative use of everyday items for lighting, or software that delivers more than it costs, let's pool our knowledge and help each other out.

Looking forward to seeing your recommendations and maybe even adopting some new strategies for my next project!

Cheers,

John

• 1 month later...

My budget Canon 70D with 35-200 lens.

NOT live audio as so hard to do well (or else take off the mixing desk).
E.g. this freebie I did for my local Acoustic Club, timed to show the videos. (The previous section was all stills from the same camera.)

Edited in Resolve.

Music permission/courtesy of a couple of the acts.

Edited by GregB

Here's another ...

• Canon 70D  for the wide shot
  • Samsung Galaxy II for the close-up on the left-hand player (unfortunately lens was dirty)
  • iphone (current in 2017 ) on the singer/lead guitar
  • original Zoom H1 stereo field recorder (for the actual audio and seen on far corner of the table).  (But audio from all three devices used to sync the 3 videos)
  • Natural lighting

Greg