Your Ad Could Be Here

What role do you believe independent labels play in today’s music landscape?

john

Hi Gang

In today's diverse music landscape, I believe independent labels still play a crucial role. They often bridge the gap between DIY artists and the major labels, providing a unique blend of support with a touch of the personal, artist-focused approach that big labels can sometimes overlook. Big labels can feel impersonal and distant, to the independent label’s more approachable and responsive side. At the same time, with independent artists feeling so empowered through knowledge and tools, many artists feel they no longer need independent labels.

What role do you believe independent labels play in today’s music landscape?

You might be signed to an indie label, operate one, or have chosen to stay completely independent. It’s also possible that you have ended up being completely independent because you felt you had no choice. How do you feel independent labels impact the opportunities available to artists? Do they offer a better deal when it comes to artistic freedom and financial terms compared to major labels? Do they offer an advantage over DIY releases?

I look forwards to hearing your thoughts, ideas and experiences!

Cheers

John

• 1 month later...

I distribute my music through CDbaby. They used to handle mp3's of the big artists. They decided to get rid of that and strictly help indie musicians get their music out there. However, they don't make it very easy. It costs 9.99 to put out a single or an album.  I think if you want a pro release its more,,50 dollars. So a year ago I decided to go with a deal they had. It was almost half price. I thought I would use it in the future. So for unforseen Circumstances, I waited close to a year before it got released. However when I released it, they backdated the release to last year. So I sent a mesage through support and support said because I didn't notify them that I wanted the date this year. But if you want to purchase another album release, so you could have it with this years release it would cost you another 50 dollars.

What a joke! I barely make my money back and then they do this to me. I told them," you guys don't make it easy"

I had people say they can't find me on Itunes, yes thats true you need to dig deep. 

This comes from the website, with comments from me

Your music on 150+ global platforms like Spotify & Apple Music- they do that yes

Your tracks on video apps like TikTok & Instagram-only if someone uses it

Free delivery to future platforms!-ok well thats a maybe

Monetization with YouTube Content ID-If you have 1000 subscribers

Your songs on discovery tools like Shazam & Jaxsta-good luck with that

Consideration for promo services & playlist pitching-Ha ha too funny!

Fast-pass verification on major streaming services- ok so this is a plus

An easy way to claim your YouTube Official Artist Channel- yes true but refer to the 1000 subscribers

Free UPC barcode & ISRCs-Yes that they do

Access to our expert artist support team-If you want to call them experts?

Powerful music marketing tools-Ha ha ha more money you have to spend. Does it work?Probably not

Let me tell you this-Its a struggle to make a dollar. Its not all rosy like they make it out to be.

10 hours ago, Kevin1 said:

I distribute my music through CDbaby. They used to handle mp3's of the big artists. They decided to get rid of that and strictly help indie musicians get their music out there. However, they don't make it very easy. It costs 9.99 to put out a single or an album.  I think if you want a pro release its more,,50 dollars. So a year ago I decided to go with a deal they had. It was almost half price. I thought I would use it in the future. So for unforseen Circumstances, I waited close to a year before it got released. However when I released it, they backdated the release to last year. So I sent a mesage through support and support said because I didn't notify them that I wanted the date this year. But if you want to purchase another album release, so you could have it with this years release it would cost you another 50 dollars.

What a joke! I barely make my money back and then they do this to me. I told them," you guys don't make it easy"

I had people say they can't find me on Itunes, yes thats true you need to dig deep. 

This comes from the website, with comments from me

Your music on 150+ global platforms like Spotify & Apple Music- they do that yes

Your tracks on video apps like TikTok & Instagram-only if someone uses it

Free delivery to future platforms!-ok well thats a maybe

Monetization with YouTube Content ID-If you have 1000 subscribers

Your songs on discovery tools like Shazam & Jaxsta-good luck with that

Consideration for promo services & playlist pitching-Ha ha too funny!

Fast-pass verification on major streaming services- ok so this is a plus

An easy way to claim your YouTube Official Artist Channel- yes true but refer to the 1000 subscribers

Free UPC barcode & ISRCs-Yes that they do

Access to our expert artist support team-If you want to call them experts?

Powerful music marketing tools-Ha ha ha more money you have to spend. Does it work?Probably not

Let me tell you this-Its a struggle to make a dollar. Its not all rosy like they make it out to be.

A good perspective on a common service. Not a label, though a distribution service. While distribution services are fairly common within the bigger labels, many independent labels use 3rd party services that independent artists use… like CD Baby, DistroKid etc. The value labels deliver largely sits on top of distribution services, though there is an overlap.. for example labels offering their own ISRC codes.

I find a lot of artists are actually pretty unclear about what exactly labels do! To be clear, good labels do deliver value. Bad labels set you up as their golden goose. Note the emphasis on “their”.

As an independent using distribution services, the issue remains that the artists still lack the skills and experience to leverage the distributor properly. They only provide a subset of the tools needed (useful though they are) but almost none of the associated or necessary knowledge. What knowledge they do provide mostly focuses on generating them sales, not on bringing you success.