Your Ad Could Be Here

Putting Together The Perfect Setlist

Hey Gang

Every performance is a journey, not just for us as performers but for our audience too. One of the key elements to a memorable show is the setlist. It sets the tone, builds the atmosphere, and hopefully leaves the crowd wanting more. That's why I want to open up a discussion today about how we all go about crafting that perfect setlist.

I might not have spent hours at a time on my set lists, but I always gave my set lists due care and attention. The set list lays out the journey to be travelled by your audience. Just like the sections of a song, the set list has the songs ordered, the emotional ups and downs, the topics, the energy. So, it’s worthwhile spending some time making sure you get it right. It can be what makes or breaks your gig.

How do you decide which songs to play? Do you stick to a tried-and-true formula, or do you like to mix things up based on the venue, the type of audience, or even your mood? What strategies do you use to ensure a good flow throughout the performance?

Whether it’s weaving in your more popular songs, in between new material, choosing covers that resonate with your audience, or even how you decide on the opener and closer, there’s an art to getting it just right. True, you can, and should, experiment with song placement from gig to gig. Like everything else, you learn and get better.

Share your thoughts, tips, and maybe even some of your favorite setlist combinations. Maybe even put together a playlist of your setlist and get some feedback from other members. It can’t hurt. Let’s learn from each other and make our next performances even better!

Cheers

John