Your Ad Could Be Here

Hi everyone Johnny here from the UK

johnnyuk

ok so i have to say something about me. lol

erm well....

Lets start at the beginning....

I was never interested in music at school simply because the music teacher thought a music lesson consisted

of playing a few records whilst we all sat and listened. Did nothing for me. Used to look out of the window. lol

After i left school i knew i liked the idea of playing an instrument but was unsure of what instrument.

So each weekend i would go into town and watch in admiration the guy from the music store playing the keyboards and selling them just as fast as he played them too! lol

I still wasn't tempted. but after several visits his sales pitch won me over and i purchased a keyboard. cost £158 had 6 preset sounds with a few pre programmed drums. bossa nova, waltz etc. lol

That kept me occupied for hours on end i can tell you.

And i couldn't even read music. lol

Anyway years later and after several changes of keyboards i went for piano lessons as i was playing by then but not able to read music. so i went for the sight reading. but hated the teacher as he wouldn't let me play songs i liked. all i could play was classical.

as good as classical is, at the time i wasn't interested. so i stuck it out for 2 years then packed it in.

After that i continued with music and moved onto recording gear.

Spent a lot on this and that which said it would do this and that for you but didn't. lol

I learnt the hard way.

Practice practice practice. thats what i did.

Lots of errors along the way.

Then years later i submitted some music/songs on a demo tape to enrol to get a place on a music course to become a musical facilitator.

I got on the course and spend the best part of the year teaching in a music department alongside the music teachers.

Learnt an awful lot in that time which i didn't realise until later.

Now i teach privately from home a few students piano/songwriting and vocals.

I try not to take onboard too many students so i have enough time to help the few i have already.

So for a few years i just did a lot of teaching and let my songwriting go by the by for a while.

Then in the last 18 months i've got back into making music up and started to enjoy the creation process all over again.

And after writing those new songs recently i looked online to find other musicians and found myself here!

So i posted up a message asking people to kindly listen to my songs and am now awaiting my first review.

So thats my story guys.

Feel free to call by if u think i could help you in any way on musical matters. ok

Many thanks

Johnny

:)

Hey Johnny,

Glad you found us. Music Teacher huh? Kewl!! I like the story, growing up hating the ways you were being taught and ending up a Teacher. What is your Teaching method? Would you be interested in writing an article for SS? What grades do you teach (or does it not work that way in the UK)? What do you use to record currently? Off to find your tracks [smiley=bounce.gif]

WELCOME TO SONGSTUFF!!!

Hey Johnny,

Glad you found us. Music Teacher huh? Kewl!! I like the story, growing up hating the ways you were being taught and ending up a Teacher. What is your Teaching method? Would you be interested in writing an article for SS? What grades do you teach (or does it not work that way in the UK)? What do you use to record currently? Off to find your tracks [smiley=bounce.gif]

WELCOME TO SONGSTUFF!!!

Hi Nightwolf,

Yes a music teacher. lol

I teach privately.

I could have gone to work at school but i found the methods in school restricting.The focus was on grades rather than creativity and grades.

Being a creative person i found that frustrating.

The best lessons i taught in school were songwriting lessons.

245 pupils writing songs in small groups. was simply wonderful to see them being creative.

My musical approach is very simple.

It has to be fun.

The children have to want to learn. it has to come from them and not from the parents just wanting them to learn.

If the passion/interest is initially there from the child to start with then the lesson flows for them.

I teach piano. but they also get to use the studio as an incentive as they progress.

They can even write a song/record it, go away with a cd of it.

i encourage creativity as much as sight reading and grades.

And i also encourage them to play the piano freely without music. doesn't matter if they hit a wrong note. you learn quickly from mistakes and you make many so why avoid them i say. go for it. lol

I have various programs for recording.

cubase /cakewalk sonar /soundforge a few dsp cards /propellerheads reason etc.

I tend to record the music in reason and the vocals in sonar5.

I do teach the grades if needed but it isn't essential to me for anyone to learn to play just for a grade.

But i do teach it to a few and i usually teach up to grade 6.

As for writing an article.

Maybe I could do that. I would need to think about it.

But more from a musicians point of view rather than a music teachers view i think. because the way they teach music in classrooms here is very different to the way i teach from home in the studio.

Maybe it was just the schools i was at at the time.

So maybe it's different now. it was a long time ago. lol

Johnny

Welcome Johnny. Unusual story. Like to hear some details sometime.

Theres some talented folk in here.

Read you later

Rudi

Hi Rudi

I have a website with some of my songs on it so maybe that will give you some insight into the kind of person i am? I sing the songs also so you get to hear me. lol

They can be found here. ok

www.betarecords.com/johnny

you may have to cut and past it into your browser ok

Bye for now.

Johnny

Welcome mate! an interesting story you have. Lots of musical history.. unfortunatly my musical history is not as interesting.. :D

Ill have a listen to your stuff for sure.

Hi ocharu

Thanks for the message.

I will checkout your website too.

Cheers

Johnny

• 2 weeks later...