Your Ad Could Be Here

Encouragement

To fight to get some space, what did Rudi say way back when? Somebody said it, we need space and lack of stimuli in order to access... to be able to let the art out.

Just tell me that can be done again. Provide a recipe if you have one, but not too many steps, for my mind is harrried.

OK. Y'all are cool and thanks.

I have a little copybook to write on my ideas when I'm at work, also I try to remember and develop ideas in my head when doing mechanical stuff.

sometimes my wife asks me what are you thinking? when I'm too quiet, and my answer is always music.

use any time you have to make music, no matter if it is 5 minutes or half an hour.

some years ago when I had just one dayjob I used to awake half an hour earlier in the morning to practice guitar everyday; it made me feel way better because I was a bit depressed not making any music...

Hey Donna

When I am having difficulty getting time and possibly inspiration, I tend to focus on simply playing the tracks I have on a guitar or keyboard and make the most of inspiration when it comes, and that's it. At least it means I am prepared for when I do have time. It might be 3 minutes to play a track, or 30 mins to do something more, but try and do music when you can.

The one other thing I do is try to figure out ways I can get time, especially regular time. :)

Good luck!

Cheers

John

Guest voclizr

I never ever do any writing or recording on a work day (although sometimes I'll do a mix). I can't feel creative knowing I have a whole day at the ol' grind stone ahead of me. I always record on days off.

Personally, I hate having to record. I wish I could just snap me fingers and the song would be finished, but of course, it doesn't work that way. I love to have the finished product, though. Sometimes when I plan to spend a day on a new project, I have to get through the inertia. ("Ahhh, I'll do it next week. I just want to loaf around today"). I always have to tell myself that "these songs aren't going to write themselves" to convince myself to get up off my lazy arse and get going. I put alot of heart & soul into my projects which sometimes take days to complete. I have been known to at times spend 6 hours on two or three bars! This is what I must go through to get it done though, and the end product is always worth it.

I don't rightly know how to answer your question, Donna. I know a housewife has really no "days off" (my wife spent years but finally convinced me of that). I'm quite sure with 6 children it is even harder for you. It truely amazes me that you can find time and inspiration, but that shows incredible good character on your part. :) All I can possibly suggest is that you force yourself to "take a break" for yourself. We all need that. Let the kids take care of themselves (or enlist some help from the older ones) for a few hours and jam!

Really, You're still in the house and closeby in case any real emergencys come up, so you're not being irresponsible. Maybe Hubby can take the kids for some ice cream and minature golf for awhile too (not only giving you a break from them, but them a break from you). :D I hope this helps you.

:) John B.

PS: Another suggestion is to perhaps get the kids involved in your music making. They'd probably get a kick out of it, and learn something about the music making process, or at least a small part of it.

Thanks guys..mean it.

JB hit it: it's not time I need, it's SPACE. I often draw a perimeter around my person around the children ("THIS is how much space I need"). I don't get it - when we were kids we wanted to get away from the parents. Mine don't.

So...it's just like when I joined here, my first post when I was trying to make a clean spot at table to eat at. I have so much material in my head, but can't get at it, I'm numb. Motherhood is much harder on brain cells than any other kind of abuse.

I start playing and whoom! there's sweeties all round.

I'm not enough of a bitch, that's the real problem :)

It's seven children, btw, JB.

Hi Donna,

I had been wondering about you since I had time to come back and visit.

Good to hear word.

Seven children - oh my!

I would have no idea.

Very impressive.

No advice from me.

Just don't try being a bitch.

And hang on in.

OK?

Hey I have seven children too! Mind you! I had three wives to spread them around... :)