Your Ad Could Be Here

Guitar Tunings

Hey

Do you have a favourite guitar tuning? I used to us DADGAD a fair bit, but have recently began experimenting with tunings again.

If you can, please recommend any tunings, and songs/pieces to go with them.

Cheers

John

Do you have a favourite guitar tuning? I used to us DADGAD a fair bit, but have recently began experimenting with tunings again.

Open C (CGCGCE) or C9 (CGCGCD) are both current favourites as I really like Dougie Maclean's music and he tends to use these (and CGCGCEb). There's a song I just need to finish which is in open C which I'll post here soon

Still use DADGAD for some things - instrumental things I have written and songs like Blackwaterside, Somewhere Along the Road and Sally Wheatley

Use open D for a number of Joni Mitchell songs (who was 63 yesterday!) like Big Yellow Taxi, Chelsea Morning and Both Sides Now and play A Case of You in EADAAE (and play Carey on an old nylon strung acoustic with 4 strings tuned to DDAA to ape a dulcimer which usually makes people smile)

Not sure that drop D (DADGBE) or double drop D (DADGBD) count but use them for lots of things

Play Honky Tonk Women in Open G

Vincent Black Lightning I play in CGDGBE

Weirdest tuning I have come across is Steven Stills tuning on Suite Judy Blue Eyes and 4+20 which is C#C#C#C#G#C#

And sometimes EADGBE!

There's a good dozen

Edited by Nick

Hey

Steven Stills does some excellent open tuned pieces. Saying that my favourite CSN track in an open tuning is still Guinevere.

Some good recommendations in there Nick. :) Funnily enough I never learned to play Blackwater side.

Cheers

John

Funnily enough I never learned to play Blackwater side.

This is something I tabbed from memory a while back in DADGAD. The following is a very rough approximation of something like the main theme and beginning of the tune (as played by Led Zeppelin - ripped off from Bert Jansch and Annie Briggs without credit as per normal for them - I believe the words Trad and Led Zeppelin are interchangeable) there are probably lots of extra notes thrown in and open strings hit during it but the bones are there I think

D---0-------------------------------|---------------------0---------------|

A-----------------------------------|------------------0------------------| THIS

G---0H2P0------0--------------------|-X 3 TIMES-----2---------------------| THEME REPEATS

D----------4------0-----------------|-------------------------------------| OFTEN IN THE

A--------------2--------------------|-------------------------------------| TUNE

D--------------------3(bend up)-----|------------0 (add after 3rd time)---|

APPROXIMATION OF TUNE

D---0---2---4---4---4--4--5-4H5P4S2P0---------0--------0-----0----0-0---0--

A-----------0---0---0----------------------0-----------3-----3----3-3---3--

G---------------------------------------0--------------0-----0----0-0---0--

D-------------------------0------------------------------------------------

A---0---4---5---5---5------------------------------3------3-----3----3-----

D-----------------------------------0--------------------------------------

D--------0------0-----0-------0----|

A--------2------2-----2-------2----|

G--------0------0-----0-------0----| RETURN TO

D----------------------------------| THEME FROM BEGINNING

A-----2-----2------2------2--------|

D----------------------------------|

Edited by Nick

Hey Nick

Thanks! I'll give this a try tomorrow :)

Cheers

John

Joni Mitchell has always been a favourite of mine and there is a wonderful resource at Joni Mitchell Discussion list which has 160 transcriptions of her songs in 89! different tunings.

Should keep you going for a while and give a few good ideas.

One of the people there (Howard something) transcribes things very well and has a load of other music on the web which is usually very good

I also mentioned above that I am a big Dougie Maclean fan. There is a site called the wee guitar site here which has some info about playing in open C and has a particularly good forum where the guy will send a file with some of his tunes. I found it useful to get me started playing in open C as it sparked off a load of ideas playing through his tunes. There is a song he sings called 'Ready for the Storm'; just knowing that the tuning was CGCGCEb was really helpful as the playing of it then became obvious because it justs flows - whereas in other tunings it doesn't so obviously. I guess at the end of the day that is the raison d'etre behind alternative tunings ie that they let you do different things easily (as well as having a reasonably distinctive sound).

I also have a couple of pdfs - one of DADGAD chord shapes and one of chord shapes for playing in 'modal' C (CGCGCD). They are obvious to work out but if you are interested I can mail them to you

On the other hand I had an interesting correspondence with a nice guitar/mandolin player called John McGann who lives on the east coast of the States. He wrote a tune which is a favourite I play with some friends called Canyon Moonrise (you can find the music and chords at his site and there is some very sane information about improvising and playing). I commented to him that the guitar playing sounded very DADGADish and he said that he found DADGAD ok but limiting and preferred to try and create chord voicings in a normal tuning which gave the benefits of that 'open' sound but without the limitations of the tuning. If you have a play through the chords which he suggests you'll see what I mean. And it's a great tune also! It was an interesting exchange though as it was at a time when I was experimenting with alternative tunings and it was an interesting balance. I recommend his album if you like that sort of music BTW he's an excellent player (and a fan of, in his words, Allan Holdsworth "the greatest living Yorkshireman"!) and writes some fine tunes. Once played Canyon with 5 fiddle players, a melodeon player, whistles and various guitarist and people bashing things and it's great fun to do - and the writer approved when I sent him a copy.

Edited by Nick

Hey Nick

thanks a lot. Lots of useful pointers. The first time I really experimented with open tuning was to learn a few Robert Jonstone tracks. Then a few Stephen Stills. Since then I have focused on lots of open sounding chords in standard tuning, but I felt another foray into open tunings would be good. Not so much for slide, but to really experiment with some different voicings.

:)

Cheers

John