Your Ad Could Be Here

Earphones

I don't even have studio monitors... I find them expensive, and, most of all, I don't have enough room. So my question is, do earphones pose a threat to the ears? I've read some things about it, such as Pete Townsend's comments, but has anybody got something precise, a scientific article or something?

Thanks,

Marc

Bonjour Marc,

So my question is, do earphones pose a threat to the ears?

In the long run, perhaps yes.

I've read some things about it, such as Pete Townsend's comments, but has anybody got something precise, a scientific article or something?

Most of what I found is related to "outdoor" uses.

But there a few pointers in the link below, on why it could be more dangerous to listen through headphones.

See the paragraph SOUND PERCEPTION IN HEADPHONES VS. LOUDSPEAKERS.

Preventing Hearing Damage When Listening With Headphones

Didier

Hey Marc

It's also worthwhile noting that much of the recent press is focused specifically on the ear-bud type earphones, which is a very different story from the muff style.

If you are using headphones all the time I would make sure that you are using "open back" headphones for mixing (you'll need close backed headphones for vocal recording vocals etc due to noise spill). Open back headphones colour the sound less and they won't tire your ears quite so much.

I'll see if I can diig out something for you. Have you tried the senheiser, beyer dynamic or akg sites?

Cheers

John

Hi John,

What I meant is "headphones". I will follow your recommendation for open back headphones. I was only thinking Sennheiser, but I will also look at Beyer and AKG.

Thanks,

Marc

Hey Marc

It's also worthwhile noting that much of the recent press is focused specifically on the ear-bud type earphones, which is a very different story from the muff style.

If you are using headphones all the time I would make sure that you are using "open back" headphones for mixing (you'll need close backed headphones for vocal recording vocals etc due to noise spill). Open back headphones colour the sound less and they won't tire your ears quite so much.

I'll see if I can diig out something for you. Have you tried the senheiser, beyer dynamic or akg sites?

Cheers

John

• 2 weeks later...

I would submit that if you are sensible with cans they will not damage your ears, but what they will do, no matter how much money you spend on them, is give you a totally warped and misleading impression of the spectral domain and the spatial feel of your mix...

The only thing I would ever advise using headphones for at the mixing stage is checking for glitches, because they will show up any clicks, pops, crackles, etc very clearly, but you are not likely to create a mix that will translate accurately onto other stereo systems over a set of cans...

The most important thing in mixing is IMO definitely the monitors... You can find zero budget computer based workarounds for simulating just about every other piece of mixing equipment, and in fact it's been over two years since I've done any mixing outside of Cubase or Pro Tools on an outboard console and apart from fixes and effects applied during the recording stage I have no plans to ever do any again, but monitors are quintessential... If you can't hear a sound accurately in the dynamics, time and space you cannot work it into a mix...

You will get a decent set of monitors on ebay for an affordable price...

Edited by Prometheus

• 1 month later...

i bought my monitors brand new for a hundred dollars (musicians friend, clearence). yeah, a hundred dollars is a hundred dollars, but i don't have to guess so much when i'm mixing anymore. headphones lie, even the good one's which by the way, cost way more than a hundred bucks. you say you don't have room for them. is your recording studio in a cardboard box?

-joel