Your Ad Could Be Here

Songwriting Critique

Hey

I'm writing an article about songwriting critique. It's pretty well finished, but going through the process really highlighted to me the need for good critiquing skills (from the perspective of my own songs, and others).

So, what do you look for from a critique? What do you really hope to get from it?

Similarly, wehn you offer a critique to others, what do you expect to get from giving the critique?

Cheers

John

• 2 weeks later...

Good question.

I'm not ignoring it, I've been thinking about it and am unsure what is important to me. A fair amt can be subjective, too, what grabs the writer, what grabs the critiquer.

I can say what I try to do when giving critiques: if something works and the piece is from an experienced writer, there's more I won't mention. I probably wouldn't say "the chord structure resolves nicely" or whatever, because they already know that, and I know that, and we know that the other knows it. So then the critique would tend to pickier or more refined points (maybe) - or I'd focus on what was outstanding, including performance!

When the writer is newer in experience or knowledge, more needs to be said and it should be fairly specific, what seems to work, what doesn't, and why. Or suggestions as to why.

Expectations on receiving a critique: What isn't always helpful is a "what" comment without a "why". Even on American Bandstand, the "I'd give that song a 95" were followed by, "It's got a good beat, I can dance to it." OTOH, as I said before, when something works, that's when the least comments might be made ie, "Great work!" There's nothing else to say, the song is stellar.

What I'd expect to receive on critiquing others' is

a) increased knowledge in song structure and like things

B) the good will of the writer ;) - at least for taking the time to give hopefully some thoughtful feedback

A lot of times I'll post for a crit to see if others hear the same glaring errors I hear or if I too close to it and it would pass by unnoticed. The intro to Aura Lee is a good example; I knew it was in the wrong key, but having heard it so many times, it sounded ok to me. The fact that john (you) found it jarring brings me back into focus.

I agree with Donna, my reviews are tailored to the experience of the writer if I am familiar with them.

What do I look for in a review? Anything that feels out of place, jars the listener, or stands out/fades out too much.

One thing to keep in mind when reviewing another's Music it is important to realize that we are all on different levels, it does not help to talk over someones level.

One thing to keep in mind when asking for a review, you are asking for opinions about your Music. Regardless of the skill level of the reviewer, in the end it is only one person's opinion. Do not get offended if someone does not like your work (even if you admire their creations), Music is a broad playing field and there is room for plenty of differing ideas and Songs.

Most of all, be respectful of each other, we are sharing Music, something that is very close to us all.

Namaste'

John Nightwolf