Your Ad Could Be Here

Publishin Deals

I am in the middle of doing some big mails out to record labels. reviewers. management. promoters and local radio stations. So far i am getting some good interest back along with some rejection letters.

As yet i have sent no CD's to any publishing houses. As an artist starting out with no label or previous official releases do you think this avenue is one worth chasing up?

Any ideas welcome

• 2 weeks later...

Hey

Sorry, just noticed this!

Well I guess I'd advise against going to the expense of mailing CDs to anyone without doing some research. After all if they don't accept unsolicited demos (as is often the case) or never really listen to them you are wasting your money.

For example:

What kind of artists are they signing?

Are they currently looking for artists?

What sort of deals have they recently completed? (harder to find out is what the terms of the deals were)

Also, it always better if you have a contact name, and even better if they are expecting your demo. So... phone them. Try and get as many details as you can, such as A&R rep names, the head A&R etc. Try and get put through to speak to them. make sure you find out if you have to mark your demo in any way, if there is any information they want, need or like (can be different between companies. Then when you send your CD you can refer to the fact that it is expected and it will be in the correct format.

I realise this is more work, but it does improve your chances considerably, whether it's a label or publishing house.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

John

• 7 years later...

If he's getting letters back then he's more then likely NOT sending out unsolicited demos (probably calling and asking first or emailing)  as those go directly from the mailbox to the dumpster and no reply of any kind is given. If you are writing songs you think artists other than you would record  then yes send to publishing companies otherwise no, it is a waste of time a money.