Your Ad Could Be Here

Digidesign And Pro Tools

Hey

Do any of you guys have much experience with Digidesign and Pro Tools?

In looking around, trying to familiarise myself with the current top range audio I thought I'd have a look at Digidesign's offerings. I'm not planning on buying right now, more just trying to get clued up. :)

Cheers

John

Hey

Do any of you guys have much experience with Digidesign and Pro Tools?

In looking around, trying to familiarise myself with the current top range audio I thought I'd have a look at Digidesign's offerings. I'm not planning on buying right now, more just trying to get clued up. :)

Cheers

John

I worked on it for a year on a MAC G5 and found it to be very crash prone and unreliable compared to Cubase v5.0 in my studio at home, but I always suspected there might be something wrong with that computer...

I use digi 001 and pro tool LE, I really like it and find it easy to interface with. Another advantage is that it is the industry standard, so if and when I get in over my head I can take a hard drive with my tracks on it to just about any studio I want and they can take over.

p.s. it has never crashed on me............................yet

Thanks Prom. :) D you know what the digidesign harware was? or the protools version?

Cheers

John

Christ, now you're asking... It would be Pro Tools 6.0 I would think... As far as the hardware goes, I'm damned if I can remember... The interface was two rectangular boxes, each one taking up two units of rack space, if that's any help... It was a studio that could really have been great with a little work on it... If you look on the DAW package thread, there's a picture of the control room...

I've personally been using Cubase V5.0 for years now... I know I should really upgrade, but I know that program inside out, I know everything it will ever throw at me, and I know how to push it's limits the way a hacker would with computer code, so I don't want to change at the present time... Also, with the capability to send files out to an external editor, it is a very powerful audio manipulator...

Edited by Prometheus

Hey

Thanks Prom.

I'm sure one box would have been full of IO cards. The other would most likely have held the core card and possibly some of the DSP expansion options and more IO boards. I've used old versions of ProTools but not for ages. I did keep up on the hardware a little, but their new systems I don't know. I also didn't really keep up with the software.

What are you using these days?

Cheers

John

Hey

Thanks Prom.

I'm sure one box would have been full of IO cards. The other would most likely have held the core card and possibly some of the DSP expansion options and more IO boards. I've used old versions of ProTools but not for ages. I did keep up on the hardware a little, but their new systems I don't know. I also didn't really keep up with the software.

What are you using these days?

Cheers

John

I've been using a Spirit Desk (which I swear by, I really like Spirit preamps) through an MAudio Delta 1010 into Cubase V5.0... The Delta 1010 only gives 8 simultaneous recording channels, but I've never needed more than that anyway... Cubase throws the odd tantrum, but I'm used to all of its little quirks by now and it is stable in preventing data loss... My problem is that I could do with a room that is maybe three times bigger than the one I have that would let bass diffuse out of it... As it is, I've got one or two EQ problems... Buying better equipment just gives a more pristine recording of the shit room, although it is handy in that it has taught me a hell of a lot about EQ...

I've actually been getting quite into making music videos on location lately. That is a hell of a lot of fun, and adds a dimension that a lot of people might not have available to them at the demo stage... There's one on my myspace site, http://www.myspace.com/poppingcherries666 which is pretty heavily compressed by the server, so much poorer quality than the master copy I made, but it still shows what can be done with a miniDV camera, a basic cutting suite and a bit of imagination...