Your Ad Could Be Here

Guitar Tunings

john

Hey

i've been working on an instrumental, and decided to try something in an open tuning. I used to play lots of open tunes stuff when I was learning delta blues, and every once in a while I get back into it. As part of my experiments I've been experimenting with the more celtic sounding DADGAD, but also open G, Gminor, and D and Dminor.

There's a lot of stuff you can play in DADGAD, from Zeppelin and Floyd to Bert Jansch and Davy Graham.

It's been good getting back to it. I'm not using slide for the instrumental, so it keeps it interesting.

Out of interest, Joni Mitchell uses just about every conceivalbe tuning there is in her songs (not the same one ;) ). I've never been a big fan of hers it must be said, but I'm planning on trying a few of her songs just to try out the tunings :)

Cheers

John

Guest voclizr

John;

Dan Fogelberg is also big on alternate tunings (got the idea from Joni). Also, you might want to check out some of Will Ackerman's

Windham Hill recordings. He's an excellent guitarist who does mostly guitar based instrumentals and uses alternate tunings as well. You can gain a wealth of information from him.

:) John B.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hmmm, I haven't tried any open tunings yet, the stuff I learn doesn't need it... Maybe I'll try and find some :) Mostly I just drop tune, I know two songs that require drop A tuning(!) (well the versions I know do anyway, one of them I've since heard is technically played in open A...) Then there's Tom Morellos love of drop B tuning, which is fun :) Then the countless drop D songs... In theory I suppose there's the Queens of the Stone Age I play which are all technically all down 1 step (dunno what you would call that?!), and one or two System of a Down songs that are drop D down 1 step apparently!!!

I think maybe getting a slide and learning some open tuned songs could be my next 'thing' to learn, as I've been stagnating since I stopped having lessons over the summer :(

Rohan :)