Your Ad Could Be Here

Guitar Music

john

Hey

Any of you guys into guitar music, like Davie Graham, Bert Jansch, Martin Simpson? Got any recommendations for people to listen to?

One of my friends Iain Forbes (haven't seen him in a while) plays a lot of guitar festivals etc.

You can check out some of his older stuff here:

http://www.iainforbes.com/

Hopefully I'll be seeing him again soon, amybe even have a jam. Haven't done that in a while either!

Cheers

John

Any of you guys into guitar music, like Davie Graham, Bert Jansch, Martin Simpson? Got any recommendations for people to listen to?

Wizz Jones

Tommy Emmanuel

John Renbourn

Stefan Grossman

Adrian Legg

Ralph McTell

Pierre Bensusan

Steve Howe

Pat Metheney

If it wants to be acoustic

Hey Nick

I remember the first time I heard Adrian Legg's "Technopicker". I was stunned, to put it simply.

I've listened to Steve Howe, Pat Methney, Stefan Grossman and Ralph McTell but I am not aware of having heard the others, I'll look them up. Thanks for the recommendations.

Out of interest, who would you recommend for acoustic guitar jazz?

Any of those a particular favorite of yours?

Did you get a chance to listen to Iain's music? I'd be interested to see what you think.

Cheers

John

Bert Jansch was always a favourite of mine. I discovered very early that if I learned a John Renbourn tune, I could sound like John Renbourn when I played it. But if I learned a Bert Jansch piece, I could never sound like him, no matter how assiduously I practiced.

It’s all in that left hand touch!

These are my favourite Bert albums:

Birthday Blues

Rosemary Lane (unaccompanied)

LA Turnaround (country tinged)

Hey Nick

I remember the first time I heard Adrian Legg's "Technopicker". I was stunned, to put it simply.

I've listened to Steve Howe, Pat Methney, Stefan Grossman and Ralph McTell but I am not aware of having heard the others, I'll look them up. Thanks for the recommendations.

Out of interest, who would you recommend for acoustic guitar jazz?

Any of those a particular favorite of yours?

Did you get a chance to listen to Iain's music? I'd be interested to see what you think.

Cheers

John

Wizz Jones - I first saw at Leicester in the 1970's and saw him last year in York. Blues/folk player

Tommy Emmanuel - absolutely astounding guitarist. Saw him last year for the first time in a small venue (200 people) close to where I work. He has countryish leanings a la Chet Atkins but plays everything from jazzy things to flat out flat picking to pop to anything. Have a look on Youtube and there are a load of examples - his version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow is lovely and the harmonics playing is wonderful;

is swift and amusing and his flat picking is impressive; I Have Always Thought of You is a lovely tune

Pierre Bensusan plays mostly in DADGAD and plays Celtic music

Django definitely on acoustic

Kenny Burrell I like too

There is a fantastic acoustic album with John McLaughlin (who I'm not a great fan of), Al di Meola and a flamenco player which has some great playing on it

Pat Metheny can be excellent on acoustic (Travels is a favourite tune; simple but effective playing)

I'll have a listen to Iain's stuff and let you know