Your Ad Could Be Here

I Need Advice From Fellow Songstuffers:)

x_*kate*_x

hey, whats goin on people? anyways i like to ask questions..hehe but how are you suppose to know anything unless you ask questions right? anyways...

i am going to be recording a cd in august/septemeber it's only going to have like 3 or 4 songs on it, cause its gonna be a portfolio application cd type thing to get into college, but im going to write music to some of my own lyrics, and i was just wondering if anyone has any advice or anything at all i should know before i start writing music and recording. also if anyone has suggestions for any songs that i could record or any suggestions on what to change about songs. it would be lovely to know your opinions.

Thank you muchly:)

Have a lovely day!

-Kate-

Hey Kate

Now you have your lyrics, that gives you some idea of melodic rhythm. I would use that as a starting point to write your melody. It is worth really reading your lyric before you start. Feel the words and the depth of their meaning. It's a good way of making sure your melody will be sympathetic to your words. Try it with voice only, then once you have the basic section melodies work through some chords. Be prepared to go back to the begining, even to the point of tweaking your lyrics to get the melody, lyrics and chords all sitting well together. I usually go over and over this part of the process trying to improve every time.

Hope this helps

Cheers

John

Just to fortify what John said; try experimenting with effects on your vocals at an early stage. Compression & a touch of gated reverb is a nice start. What do you have planned for the timing of each track? A metronome? Sequencer?

• 1 month later...
  • Noob

I guess I'm kind of backwards, cause I like to write music first. That helps me get the melody line down. Then I add words to that. Of course, sometimes I have to change the melody or words here and there. I usually have an idea of the content of my lyrics, but I don't get working on those until I have the basic music down first. To each his (or her) own.

Hi Kate, (you wayward young imp you !) ;)

Before recording, prepare as thoroughly as you can. Make sure you can sing the song properly in the key you’ve chosen. Be prepared to transpose (usually up) if you want to put more power into it.

Rehearse both singing and playing constantly. Once you hit record, all manner of flaws seem to appear out of nowhere.

Good luck!