War internet music pirates...

Hi

I found this and thought it was interesting:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main....Fecntdown26.xml

Cheers

John

Hi John,

I find this the most intriguing:

Consequently, the industry was preparing to take punitive action against serial offenders. As a first step, the BPI yesterday unveiled a campaign to make people aware that file-sharing was illegal.

A message will automatically appear on the computer of anyone illegally downloading music that will warn them that they are in breach of copyright law and could face legal action.

How are they going to do this?

Unless we're in Ozz' land suddenly, is the "industry" going to write spyware and viruses, that will infect illegal downloading sites, in order to display the message on anyone illegally downloading music's computers?

To paraphrase Steve: "oh dear oh dear, look at the state of that industry".

Didier

cue microsoft...

I found this an interesting quote.

the BPI wanted to educate people about the long-term damage to the music industry caused by illegal file-sharing. But he acknowledged that attempts to curb the practice by appealing to music lovers' better nature had proved largely unsuccessful in countries such as Canada.

I wonder if it's because the 'people' view the music industry as nothing more than a bunch of rip off merchants! My daughter is 17, she loves music but she earns less than the price of a CD. She has asked me several times to install kazza (sp?) so that she can download some music. Being a musician and songwriter myself, I have tried to explain to her the rights and wrongs of this. She just looks at her pay packet each week!... Consequently, I end up paying for the occasional CD which I believe is generaly overpriced.

Guest olggu
I found this an interesting quote.

I wonder if it's because the 'people' view the music industry as nothing more than a bunch of rip off merchants! My daughter is 17, she loves music but she earns less than the price of a CD. She has asked me several times to install kazza (sp?) so that she can download some music. Being a musician and songwriter myself, I have tried to explain to her the rights and wrongs of this. She just looks at her pay packet each week!... Consequently, I end up paying for the occasional CD which I believe is generaly overpriced.

I got the privilege to buy my favourite music straight from artist, but he did have sold out one of his albums, so we decide that he give me home made copy from it. For payback I made five more copy's to him, so he can deliver them to his fans...All this because ordering cd;s from record company is too expensive, unless you order something like 200 000 pieces... That's nice, even the artist can't afford his own music  ;D

"How are they going to do this? "

First, there is a new International Standard Recording Code (ISRC) like a digital fingerprint with which members of the International Federation of the Phonograph Industry (IFPI) now encode tracks for ready identification.

Second, the development of Copy Control Technology (CCT) allows companies to specify the type and style of usages allowed.

Providing the track has been encoded in the first place, any breach of permissions is readily identified - and you get the message.

Microsoft have of course been long involved.

"I wonder if it's because the 'people' view the music industry as nothing more than a bunch of rip off merchants!"

And yes, punters' perceptions of the "Big 5" as greedy money-grubbing impersonal monoliths has everything to do with  the lack of sympathy for their plight.

A lot of artists share that point of view.

The industry is well aware of this but care less  than you or I about it. They just  follow-up their information strategies with the loudly public example of pursuing offenders in law whether they be nuns or school-kids.

Lazz

"How are they going to do this? "

First, there is a new International Standard Recording Code (ISRC) like a digital fingerprint with which members of the International Federation of the Phonograph Industry (IFPI) now encode tracks for ready identification.

Second, the development of Copy Control Technology (CCT) allows companies to specify the type and style of usages allowed.

Hi Lazz,

Thanks for the details.

Providing the track has been encoded in the first place, any breach of permissions is readily identified - and you get the message.

That's what I thought. Which means that's not "anyone downloading illegal music". That's only people not "pirates" enough. Because I would be surprised if the digital fingerprint would resist long to the "real" hackers.

And it probably will be much of a drawback for honest customers, like the current "protected" audio CDs, that don't play on much CD player. Up to the point that Philips (the owner of the 'Digital Audio CD' logo) is suing record companies, to prevent them using that logo on CDs which are not really compatible with the standard.

Didier