Your Ad Could Be Here

OMD's in general.

ATom2

Hi all,

I'm not sure this is really a 'BIZ" topic, but seeing as OMD's are pretty much the indie access to the world, I guess I'll consider it so.

Before I speak, understand this is most OMD's, not all, and is based on several OMD's I have or still belong to.

Here's my take on what I have seen over the past 3 or 4 years.

While OMD's are a good thing as far as places to upload your music for others to hear, they are terrible when it comes to becoming part of their communities. (I.E. Their Forums.) I have seen time after time artists in forums telling each other every piece of music they record is the best thing they have ever heard. It honestly doesn't matter if it's a recording of someone running their finger nails across a blackboard, it's a hit and better than anything ever recorded before. This almost makes me want to puke! Why can't these people just be honest? I have recieved such comment on some of my songs and I know myself they are lying.

For the most part over the past 3 months I sit back and watch artists lie. I used to think this was a result of sites having charts. Not true. Although sites with charts really overdue this, those without are almost as bad. How good can it make one feel that their getting listens only as payback for lying?

I have also seen forums where there are so called self-made mastering experts that will tell you they can really improve your sound with new technology. For the most part, Bullshit. I had one such person ask me to allow him to do one of my songs. You guessed it, sounded like my song was playing through an old AM radio when it was done. Get this, I uploaded the song with this mastering to test the honesty of the people on one forum, and the whole forum said it was the best job ever done..........................until I PM'd those folks! That is when they told me it sounded like shit! If I would have been sitting next to any of these people, I would have smacked them right between the eyes.

Next, so called worldwide OMD radio shows. This one is easy. What I have seen as far as the people who come to the radio show's chat room is: 2% non-musician, 20% OMD member artists, 70% other OMD member DJ's listening to DJ's shows, and the rest are 30 second in and out visitors who don't say a thing. I rarely go to radio shows anymore because of the above numbers.

Next, "The Community" Well, I hate to say it, but these communities have become rather protective. The reason these communities have become like this is: On some OMD's that have radio shows, the DJ's are given free pages to upload their own music. Now, because they want to keep their free membership, they only care about the site maintaining the radio end of things and the forums they use to promote their shows. Other aspects of the OMD can be falling apart and if someone who is not a DJ complains, well.....you guessed it, community closed to the complainer. I'm not sure how this is spelled, but does "Clique" or "click" come to mind?

Now this brings me to Songstuff. I know it is not an OMD, and I truely hope it never becomes one. This is one place I know I can come to and read honest opinions from those who post here. I have read posts regarding poems, lyrics, songs, and the replies have been nothing but honest and contain constuctive criticism. That is the only way for the original poster to improve. I also see the original poster appreciate such comments. If OMD BB members would only be that open, then the indie artists movement would truely grow. Without this, things will never move forward.

I am not very good at putting my thoughts in writing, but I hope you can see what I am trying to say. Bottom line, I will continue to use an OMD to host my music, but for real advise and real improvement, I will rely on Songstuff.

Sincerely,

Tom

Hey Tom

You're right on what OMD stands for. And thanks for your support of Songstuff!

Casual visitors might think your post shows a clique of some kind at Songstuff, but I honestly believe that Songstuff offers several things most sites (not just OMDs) don't do well:

Honesty

Community and site support

Informed debate

Enthusiasm

Information and service you don't get elsewhere

Songstuff differs greatly from most Music sites in one big way. It's not profit oriented.

This means that:

All services are completely free to the end user/visitor.

Any advertising is minimal (in fact as much advertising space is given to artists, members or not, as you will find given to companies) add to that adverts are all relevant to Music.

The Songstuff ethos, if I can call it that, is shaped by the users as much as by the site itself. Basically it is about treating each other with respect, and that includes honesty when it comes to reviews.

There is a genuine enthusiasm for improving the Music we create, and a willingness to share knowledge and understanding.

Tom, I don't know that much about OMDs politically, but I can say that I have witnessed much of what you mention.

Perhaps one day they'll discover that Songstuff makes a difference. It's not all about back patting, and it sure isn't about put-downs.

Onwards, and upwards.

Cheers

John

It honestly doesn't matter if it's a recording of someone running their finger nails across a blackboard, it's a hit and better than anything ever recorded before. This almost makes me want to puke! Why can't these people just be honest? I have recieved such comment on some of my songs and I know myself they are lying.

Tom, they're not lying... Your stuff truly is the best there is...!  ;)

I am not very good at putting my thoughts in writing

Coulda fooled me...!  ;D

Why can't these people just be honest? I have recieved such comment on some of my songs and I know myself they are lying.

If honesty was permited in business, the system would certainly fail! John has interesting comments.