Your Ad Could Be Here

Organs, Samples And Songwriting

Riotlung

I've recently started looking for an organ (preferably an electric piano. I prefer the piano key texture) that can play a variety of sounds, but most importantly the VOX Continental sound. I've found a link that allows me to get the samples (for a fee), but before I move on, what kind of organs allow you to install sound samples onto them? Most I notice don't have them...

• 1 month later...

Well, I want to get the most bang for buck keyboard, because I don't happen to earn my own money (yet). Most keyboards on sale have a huge range of sounds already, but I also want it to:

1.) Have the VOX continental sound

2.) Hammond organ sound (not as essential as the above)

3.) Can add more sounds

Preferably have some similarity to the piano too, touch-wise and with pedals. I'm sure there are keyboardists around here who know a thing or two...

Hey

For gigging or studio work?

I would reckon that the most flexible solution would be either a sampling keyboard or a separate sampler unit and a controller keyboard.

Samplers can be relatively expensive but you can always pick up a second hand unit.

I don't know of a synth etc that comes with the VOX Continental as a standard patch (probably my ignorance), but that's the beauty of sampling capability, it's easy to add sounds later.

What sort of budget are we talking?

Cheers

John

ok, so you have access to the samples that you want, that is half the battle. I would say John is spot on, get a sampler of some sort that you can load samples in to. A weighted keyboard should be pretty cheap and well worth it in my opinion, the feel adds a lot to the playing. Another option which John touched on is if you only plan to use it for recording, consider a MIDI c0ontroller with weighted keys that can feed a software program with your samples installed.

Hope that helps, let us know of your progress,

John Nightwolf

Thanks for the replies, guys. :)

It's mainly for playing (ie gigging, but with no audience), but in time to come I do intend to do recording with it. The loading of additional sounds is not necessary, because most such organs/keyboards come with a huge list of preset sounds, and most are adequate. However, if they are lacking the essential Vox Continental and Hammond organ sounds, I'll have to add them in.

What about those types of keyboards that can playback something and have you play together with it? Like allowing you to play one part instrument (eg bass) and then play over the bass, as if you were playing multitrack? Must I have a computer attached in order to do that?

Thanks.

Thanks for the replies, guys. :)

It's mainly for playing (ie gigging, but with no audience), but in time to come I do intend to do recording with it. The loading of additional sounds is not necessary, because most such organs/keyboards come with a huge list of preset sounds, and most are adequate. However, if they are lacking the essential Vox Continental and Hammond organ sounds, I'll have to add them in.

What about those types of keyboards that can playback something and have you play together with it? Like allowing you to play one part instrument (eg bass) and then play over the bass, as if you were playing multitrack? Must I have a computer attached in order to do that?

Thanks.

Have a look on eBay for a sound module or sampler, and buy a decent mother keyboard to plug into it. That way, you can always upgrade the module or sampler, and always have a decent keyboard! If you plug the keyboard into the PC, you can have any friggin sound you can imagine with software sampling! Buy a copy of Computer Music. It has a great list of free software on there. Sampler, synths, drum sampler, recording software, everything you could possibly want for the cost of the magazine!

• 2 months later...