Your Ad Could Be Here

Pitch Pipe

CJ21

I have just bought a guitar, my first one so haven't got a clue about them, and it came with a pitch pipe, could someone please tell me what this is and how it is used? And a really daft question now, where is the best place to tie the shoulder strap to? see I'm a real novice :-[ cant even do that :D

I have just bought a guitar, my first one so haven't got a clue about them, and it came with a pitch pipe, could someone please tell me what this is and how it is used? And a really daft question now, where is the best place to tie the shoulder strap to? see I'm a real novice :-[ cant even do that :D

We have plenty of guitar people here so I imagine one of them will jump in soon. I myself play the piano and I'm sure you don't want to strap one of those onto your shoulder, so I'll just leave now. BYE

Pitch pipe huh? Pitch it! It is supposedly used for tuning, but you would IMHO be better off with a $20 digital tuner.

As for the strap, there is a knob on the butt end of the gitfiddle and there should be a string on one side of the strap, tie the string above the nut on the neck below the tuner pegs, but before the strings start making noise. Easiest way is to take it to a music shop, ask them to adjust the strap for you and tune it, watch how they tune it and buy a tuner from them to do it at home.

Digital tuners have earned their place in the life of a busy person who needs to tune up quickly without making any noise because, for example, they are already on stage in the middle of something or waiting for the downbeat.

But that's not you.

Pitch pipes are very good and very useful.

Unlike a digital tuner - you have to hear the notes

This means you're subconsciously working on tuning your inner ear every time you tune your guitar.

And that is an excellent thing to do.

The Big Bad Nightwolf didn't think about that only because it was stuff he did long ago and forgot the value.

Edited by Lazz

The Big Bad Nightwolf didn't think about that only because it was stuff he did long ago and forgot the value.

To the contrary, I did not forget the value, but it might be to an advantage to get used to the way the guitar is supposed to sound before trying to tune it by ear. Lazz is of course right, learning to hear the notes and know what they are supposed to sound like as well as what a guitar sounds like when it is tuned properly will go far. [smiley=bounce.gif]

Thanks for all your help, strap sorted and have tried to tune the guitar by ear, sounds in tune to me but will get a digital tuner to make sure (probably way out :rolleyes: ) It's a start, just need to learn to play the thing now :D , Thanks again all of you.