Your Ad Could Be Here

Obituary for the recording industry

You sure Marc? Somehow I think all will survive, maube a little different, but somehopw I just don't see any of that going away...

I don't know... something has to break. They also thought Rome would last forever. We'd have to make a model, to see if this industy, with the ressources it consumes, can sustain another 40 years, taking into account the economic, political, environmental, cultural "fed-up" parameters.

Hey Marc

Trouble is, as long as there is an appetite for celebrity, they'll find a way to make money. I agree change is coming, maybe even a more level playing field for indie, but as long as there is a need, there will be stars...

Cheers

John

Hey Marc

Trouble is, as long as there is an appetite for celebrity, they'll find a way to make money. I agree change is coming, maybe even a more level playing field for indie, but as long as there is a need, there will be stars...

Cheers

John

I think that there always has been the need to look for something greater than us. It's incredible how they answer the demand sometimes. Like, people always have to eat, and they've created fast food. How many french fries and burgers can one ingest before getting really sick? Not much more by seeing how many people suffer from obesity in the US. So with different symptoms, the music industry is similar.

• 2 weeks later...

The popular media is tremendously powerful. It has taken me a lifetime to realize just how powerful. It works away at us over decades, slowly modifying social values and educating newer generations to a modern Political Correctness. Its mostly responsible and benign, but I am wary of it. It works just like peer pressure.

Now, the cult of celebrity is so overbalanced that some people seem to feel that thier own (humble) lifestyles are so empty that they are worth little or nothing. The dream they have bought into is `fame'. As consumers `fame' is thier opium. Also, the only way they can empower themselves and make thier lives meaningful is to grab some fame of thier own, if only on kareoke night.

The reality is that `fame' is a shallow and unworthy goal in itself, but that is all thats required for now. But this is the dream the media have sold us. What happens to society when no-one is content to form part of the audience, because everyone insists upon trying to take the stage.

The problem is not the making of music or musicians. We are just as much victims as anyone else. I try to maintain a balanced perspective, I have to work at every day.

The article is good, its message is welcome.

has anyone noticed how "bell bottoms" are what are  kids are now wearing ..yup the same as us in the 70's

this pop idol crap will soon be over and we can all get back to real music ...in the mean time its up to us to keep pluggin away

our day is comming have faith ;) ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The band VAST has three albums for internet release only. They cost 3.99 or less each and I'm confident that the Artist is getting a bigger (if not all) chunk of that money. Ground-breaking stuff. I own all three ;D

tHATS great! Give us a link and I'll have a listen.