Your Ad Could Be Here

Want More Control Vibrato

Any tips or exercizes, people?

When I'm in choir it's a much easier time losing 'pop' usages (maybe in reality just my lazy habits, why blame pop?) like sliding up to notes - but the v-v-i-i-b-r-a-t-t-oh-oh- is there at each and every phrase ending. Listening to myself singing my own (pop) stuff, I'm beginning to hate how I sound. And that's while I'm actually singing, not listening to playback.

Could be wrong, but when it's that evident to my ears while in the act of doing it, spells major problem. Or maybe awareness is becoming healthier?

I don't know what to do to combat the vibrato at phrase end.

Hey

Control is, as ever, the key thing.

Do all, or almost all your notes go into vibrato? When and how much vibrato you use should be a conscious choice. Feel is great, but feel with control is so much better.

A few questions:

Can you sing a note without vibrato?

If so, does the capability depend on note length? volume? pitch?

Can you control the rate/depth/intensity of your vibrato?

Do you do breathing exercises?

What vocal exercises do you currently do?

Sometimes you can bring about change by changing what you listen to. Most people's accents change in order to fit in, and some singing characteristics are the same, although less so. To bring about change it really needs to be a focused effort.

You are probably hating how you sound for reasons unrelated to your voice. You've moved to a different country and your accent is standing out. Your ongoing observation of the difference between you the solo singer, and you the choir singer is highlighting the differences between those two roles and your natural want to fit in as a choir singer is making you hypersensitive to those differences.

Either way vibrato is one of those things that takes time to master. Understanding what vibrato is, and how you create it is a big part of getting it under control. By exploring what you can do, and how you can alter it you have already started down that path. :)

Cheers

John

As I get older my voice had improved quite a bit. The problem here is it has improved along with becoming more lead emphisized. It also has increase in vibrato which is OK for lead but not for multiple harmonies. (No John, I am not recording again)

I can not atribute all of this to age because for the first time in my adult life, I like how I sing.

When I was young, smoking hadn't affected my voice yet. On the other hand, I didn't have a mature singing voice. Now that I am 6+ months free from those cancer sticks, and I am in my late 40's, my range and depth of my singing voice is the best it ever was. Hell, if I could get someone locally to record an entire song and in need of vocals, I'd sign up. However, no one here records music, let alone my kind of music.

Cheers,

Tom

Your ongoing observation of the difference between you the solo singer, and you the choir singer is highlighting the differences between those two roles and your natural want to fit in as a choir singer is making you hypersensitive to those differences.

Great observation, our opinions are naturally based on Life experiences mostly of the moment, consider things that you thought sounded great years ago now sound quite dated for lack of a better word