Your Ad Could Be Here

copyright

guys

just thinkin

how and where do u guys copyright ur stuff?

i have a feelin someone has stolen my words for there own bennifit ok they where not 1000 per cent ready

and needed some work but the basics where there im lucky enough to be a published poet and so i send my work to them who in turn copyright them for use in a book or if like im cheeky send lyrics they dont publish but still copyright as a matter of course

was just wondering how u guys keep ur stuff our own

if u know wat i mean

peace nigel

Hi Nigel,

I'm member of an author's rights society (French one, SACEM).

There are several points in copyright.

One is to have it. More or less, something is 'copyrighted' the day you write it, even if you do nothing formally.

Second point is to prove you are the owner of copyright.

Without any proof, it's very difficult. In the US, I believe the easier (and more efficient) is to register your song with the Library of congress.

Third point is to enforce your copyright (i.e., go to court if necessary), if someone's using your work. That's where an author's rights society is very handy, because they would do the enforcement for you.

About your poems: If you can prove any kind of publication before they copyrighted them under their name, I think you could do something about it.

Didier

One is to have it. More or less, something is 'copyrighted' the day you write it, even if you do nothing formally.

Second point is to prove you are the owner of copyright.

Without any proof, it's very difficult. In the US, I believe the easier (and more efficient) is to register your song with the Library of congress.

True, the moment you write it, it is yours.

In the US, I do the cheepest route as I feel the Library of congress thing is too pricey. I simply take my finished piece of work and stick it in an envelope and mail it to myself registered mail. This gives my work a "date of ownership". It's perfectly legal as long as when I recieve it, I don't open it. I just store it away. If the time ever came when I had to prove it was mine in a court of law, all I would have to do it show the court my work, unopened and dated.

Tom

P.S. I have also done this with a few incomplete pieces too.

Hey

Out of interest, posting on the web is a type of publication. That includes your lyrics pages on Songstuff, and this forum.

Although I would recommend that you pursue more formal methods, anything that is public domain is publishing. Copyright only pertains to proof of creation on a particular date. Publishing can establish this, as can a notorised letter or lodging with a bank. There are several copyright registers , and of course many Music bodies can advise... (prs, mcps, MU in uk)

I hope this helps.

Cheers

John

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Nige!

Did you join the ISA yet...? If so, they will copyright any amount of material you send them at no extra cost.

I thought there was a maximum of 3000 in one year?