Your Ad Could Be Here

Disappointing Response

That is true, when you ask someone, consider their personality and how they are likely to respond. One Friend of mine is a Singer, but when it comes to Music there are only 2 categories SUCKS or AWESOME. If I presented something to her that was less than pristinely recorded/mastered/released on a major label it would probably fall in the SUCKS category, so my answer with her is.............don't ask!

On the other hand I have people that will fawn over any shite I bring to their attention, I don't ask them either :-[

Which I think is the reason a board like this is so invaluable, competent Musos with an understanding of the process that can offer balanced and more importantly HONEST critiques of a work in progress.

Most laymen will not be able to offer anything until the polishing is finished (pristinely recorded/mastered/released on a major label), unfortunately, by then, it's too late.

ROCK ON FOLKS [smiley=rockin.gif]

• 1 month later...

One of the wisest pieces of advice I've heard when I was starting out in producing music was from a DJ called Trevor Reilly. He told me that I'd have to learn to ignore people becuase all sorts of comedians will come out of the woodwork to tell me what I'm doing wrong, and it's always the ones (his words, not mine) who are doing f*ck all themselves...

Very wise advice...

Edited by Prometheus

brutal truth is, don't ask if you don't wanna know how they feel. Indifference sucks for sure, I know how you feel, but it is what it is.

That's one of the reactions I fing the most disheartening of all, when people say "That's nice" and then go back to talking about the latest action in Coronation Street...

I guess I;ve got lucky! So far people I play stuff too have been happy to give, normally honest, opinions. That includes friends and family :) And I think the happiest making thing that has happened to me whilst songwriting was the reactions of two people to my song 'stopping the world'. My girlfriend read the lyrics and loved them, and my best mate (who is a MAJOR music head, and very techy with it :S) listened to the music side and said 'wow, that's quite rage against hte machine like, in an odd way, nice one'. Which bearing in mind he loves em was about the best compliment I could expect to get from him until I get it all properly recorded...

I do have a friend who's opinion i take with a pinch of salt, he has a short attention span and doesn't realise that EVERY song EVER has repitition in it, and says things like 'thats a bit boring/repetitive' etc to perfectly acceptable tunes. He can be good at brutal honesty tho :)

But I think that this forum is brilliant for me to get my lyrics into a reasonable shape before showing ANYONE, as they usually change quite alot between my first post on here and my finished draft I show to others... And it's so much harder to have someone you really know tell you your lyrics are sh*t!

Rohan :)