Your Ad Could Be Here

Grafix Cards

:) I've just bought a new PC but it doesn't have a Graphics Card. How important is it to have one? I know it works fine with the onboard graphics, but I'm not sure if I should invest in a seperate Graphics Card? What are the benifits? Anybody?

Hey

I guess it would be important if you were playing games on your PC. or editing videos etc. Don't think it is much of a problem, and to be honest, if there is no obvious need, why not put it off until you encounter a problem?

Cheers

John

Does the onboard graphics use up much of the system resources?

Need to know your MB stats for that, video cache/pipeline RAM and such.

should be the same. Its only when your image requires rendering facilities. Most modern onboard GFX have engines to do this. Also, AMD chipsets & Intel chipsets have engines for codec algorithm optimisation. You need to explore the options after you have installed the mother board chipset drivers. This usually brings the onboard gfx processor up into your operating system unleashing its 3d capabolities too after a fresh xp install

Hey Steve,

Sorry I didn't notice this sooner... If you're playing games you need a great grafix card. But if you're only doing sound you might still need an OK grafix card. This is because the grafix chip on your MB uses CPU cycles, but if you have a separate grafix card it handles a lot of that processing on the card, which frees up CPU cycles for more audio tracks, more plug-ins, more soft synths... if you're into that sort thing... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah Steve, no need for a grahics card if you have an onboard one.

As John mentioned, unless you're running some kind of real time graphics rendering application, like video games or 3D modelling/animations. Or if you're watching/editing/creating large video files you'll be fine without an independant GPU.

If your PC is for surfing the net and recording music, it's pointless to pay for one.

• 10 months later...

It's become painfully obvious that I'll have to make do with this computer for a while, so I'm going to have to improve the graphics on it. I don't want to clog up a thread with my specifics, so if anyone can help me decide how to choose a video card I'd be grateful if you would PM me and I'll give you my Yahoo or MSN ID. Thanks!