Your Ad Could Be Here

Using Rack Gear With My New Super Fly Pooter :)

Heya Songstuff peeps! Hope all's good with you.....

I've recently got a PC for my studio (I've no idea why I didn't get one sooner...it's amazing!!....well I do, it's coz I had no money lol but anyways)

I still use my trusy Alesis HD24 to record everything, then I download all the files onto my pooter and mix everything in Cubase. My question is so far I've been using all the add-ons that my friend game on my computer such are reverbs, compressors etc...what's the best way of setting up the PC so I can still add FX from my rack gear? Is it a nightmare to set it up so I can add reverbs and have that signal going back into my PC? Or is it simplier just to sell all my rack gear and spend the money on my things for my pooter?

Hmm....what do ya think? :)

Thankies for reading!

Katie Mawee x

i guess the first question is "do you feel like your missing anything by not having you rack in the loop?"

I would hold on to the rack stuff and just see how you feel, if you feel like your losing out by not having them or if you feel like the new pooter is covering all the bases well, then send it packing ya know??

i guess the first question is "do you feel like your missing anything by not having you rack in the loop?"

I would hold on to the rack stuff and just see how you feel, if you feel like your losing out by not having them or if you feel like the new pooter is covering all the bases well, then send it packing ya know??

Heya Nightwolf :)

Yes this is a good point....to be honest I've not once thought about using any of the rack gear, as I've been using all the FX on the pooter - it's just it seems a shame to have the rack stuff and not use it! ??? But I guess it's silly to use it just for the sake of it......and I could sell it and spend the spondoolies on some thing else (or of course, donate it all to Steve! After all...he'll even come and collect!! Waw! lol ;) )

Thanks for your thoughts! :) x

Yes this is a good point....to be honest I've not once thought about using any of the rack gear, as I've been using all the FX on the pooter - it's just it seems a shame to have the rack stuff and not use it! ??? But I guess it's silly to use it just for the sake of it......and I could sell it and spend the spondoolies on some thing else (or of course, donate it all to Steve! After all...he'll even come and collect!! Waw! lol ;) )

having to patch in rack gear is really obselete now. If you can learn to use the tools within cubase you will end up with much better results. Why dont you record straight into your computer and by pass all the outboard gear now?

you could take alink out of your chain and should make recording easier and quicker.. you can then also mix as you go as apposed to mixing just at the end.

What time shall I call round? Totnes now aren't you? :)

having to patch in rack gear is really obselete now. If you can learn to use the tools within cubase you will end up with much better results. Why dont you record straight into your computer and by pass all the outboard gear now?

you could take alink out of your chain and should make recording easier and quicker.. you can then also mix as you go as apposed to mixing just at the end.

Heya mate :) Thanks for your comment....

Well the main reason I don't go straight into my pooter is because I've only got 2 inputs, and I use at least 5 or 6 just for the drums! [smiley=drums.gif] So it would be a real pain in the bum for me - to be honest the Alesis is great and it doesn't screw with the sound quality......plus I can just download all the files straight into Cubase and mix away - bloomin mavelous :)

I'm guessing that a hooge-a-mous soundcard with lots of ins and outs is the way forward? [smiley=acoustic.gif] x

What time shall I call round? Totnes now aren't you? :)

Ha ha!! Again...nice try ;)

visit www.kvraudio.com and try out some of the free vst effects with your cubase package. If you like it, then maybe start investing in some vst fx plugins (ebay dude).

Heya Bitstream...thanks for that link :) I'll check it out now!! [smiley=bounce.gif]

Blimey!! Well that would certainly do the trick! [smiley=bounce.gif] Thanks for the link Steve.....no you still can't come and collect my rack gear!! lol :P

So......((excuse me for sounding incredibly blonde, I'm really crappy with knowing about the insides of a pooter!!)) would this replace my current soundcard? Or is that somthing completly different? x

Blimey!! Well that would certainly do the trick! [smiley=bounce.gif] Thanks for the link Steve.....no you still can't come and collect my rack gear!! lol :P

So......((excuse me for sounding incredibly blonde, I'm really crappy with knowing about the insides of a pooter!!)) would this replace my current soundcard? Or is that somthing completly different? x

a card like that would become your new soundcard. It would have inputs/outputs on it so you could discard your old card.

But i personally would get one that was more of a break out box than a bunch of cables.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FireWire1814-main.html

Something like that is the same thing but better presented.

a card like that would become your new soundcard. It would have inputs/outputs on it so you could discard your old card.

But i personally would get one that was more of a break out box than a bunch of cables.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FireWire1814-main.html

Something like that is the same thing but better presented.

Ahh i c.....tis just my brother got me the soundcard in my current pooter and so I wouldn't want to get rid of it unless I really had to (I'm sentamentle me!).

Thanks for the link - I checked it out earlier and it certianly looks easier to set up but booger me it's expensive lol (Or am I out of touch?! lol)

It's all stuff for me to think about anyways :)

Hey Funkeegirl, definitely a sound card is the way to go, make sure you get an external and that it is a firewire interface.

Long story short;

Firewire has a faster constant data transfer rate while USB 2.0 has a faster peak rate. Since audio is constant data transfer you want firewire.

I hear what everyone is saying about switching to everything on your PC but you may have to dig around to find the VSTs with the sound that you want. I've found that most of the free stuff is very "Digital" sounding unless you kick out for the expensive ones.

Reverb is one that I fight with a lot, I use Nuendo and I really dont like Steinbergs reverb so if you have a rack you may get a warmer sound from it, until you find a VST that is comparable.

I have 2 soundcards but I use a laptop, the laptop has a 5.1 card for my media presentations and I use my m-box for recording. So it really depends on what kind of a sound card you have in your pc and what you plan to do with your pc.

Hey Funkeegirl, definitely a sound card is the way to go, make sure you get an external and that it is a firewire interface.

Long story short;

Firewire has a faster constant data transfer rate while USB 2.0 has a faster peak rate. Since audio is constant data transfer you want firewire.

I hear what everyone is saying about switching to everything on your PC but you may have to dig around to find the VSTs with the sound that you want. I've found that most of the free stuff is very "Digital" sounding unless you kick out for the expensive ones.

Reverb is one that I fight with a lot, I use Nuendo and I really dont like Steinbergs reverb so if you have a rack you may get a warmer sound from it, until you find a VST that is comparable.

I have 2 soundcards but I use a laptop, the laptop has a 5.1 card for my media presentations and I use my m-box for recording. So it really depends on what kind of a sound card you have in your pc and what you plan to do with your pc.

Heya sub7th :) Thanks a lot for your thoughts!

Well funny you should mention reverb as it's the reverb units I wanted to keep mainly! I've got a really nice old Korg unit that has some lovely warm sounds :D

So when you say I should look for an external...I'm guessing that's one that sits outside the pooter? (sorry to sound blonde lol :P )

Heya sub7th :) Thanks a lot for your thoughts!

Well funny you should mention reverb as it's the reverb units I wanted to keep mainly! I've got a really nice old Korg unit that has some lovely warm sounds :D

So when you say I should look for an external...I'm guessing that's one that sits outside the pooter? (sorry to sound blonde lol :P )

It's like the expensive option posted above!