Your Ad Could Be Here

Massive File Size

I've just made my first ever recording using Audacity. Nothing great, but i'm trying yo upload it onto the internet. Only problem is, the file is 46Mb, which is MASSIVE!!! Now that I have mixed the track, is there anything I can do, or use, to make the file size much smaller?

Thanks in advance guys and gals.

Hi James

Good to see you back. :)

46Mb? How long a track is it? What file format are you using? mp3? wav? Do you know what quality setting you are using? (bit rates, frequency etc)

My guess is you have created a wave (.wav) file. For the internet it's usually a good idea to create two different qualties of mp3 (not wav). A hi fi file and a lo fi file. I can't remember off hand, but I've a feeling audacity needs to use a plug in to work with mp3 files.

Cheers

John

I don't think it does... I was lucky enough to have a lameMP3 encoder lying around when I started using audacity, it asks you to locate the .dll file when you try to export as MP3... It's a shame .ogg isn't more widely used cause that IS included as it's open source... Hey ho! There's a good number of free/cheap mp3 converters avaiable, and if you want it free with little effort, burn a CD-RW (saves wasting a CD, eh?) and then rip it to MP3... :)

download the cakewalk free mp3 encoder. By defualt most prgrams export to wav which will be anything from about 30 meg up for a 3 minute song.

the cakewalk encoder allows you to create mp3s of different qualities and sizes. it runs as its own stand alone program. Just choose the file choose a filename to save to. job done.

http://cwenc.sourceforge.net/

Instructions for mp3's from Audacity:

Go to the LAME download page. - Lamenc download

Under "For Audacity on Windows", left-click on the link "libmp3lame-win-3.97.zip" and save the zip folder to anywhere on your computer.

When you have finished downloading the ZIP folder, unzip it and save the file lame_enc.dll that it contains to anywhere on your computer.

The first time you use the "Export as MP3" command, Audacity will ask you where lame_enc.dll is saved.

In case of difficulty, please view our more detailed instructions at the Audacity Wiki.

I could be wrong, but I believe Audacity includes an .mp3 encoder...

It does, but you have to download lame_enc.dll (which you can find on google for free) and point audacity to it... Just follow the instructions and it should be straight forward enough...

EDIT: sorry Nick, I see you beat me to it...

Edited by Prometheus