Your Ad Could Be Here

Soundcard survey

If I was going to buy a new soundcard it would be the Motu I believe.  I have heard really good things about it.    

• 2 weeks later...

The Soundblaster Audigy EX isn't that bad. It's got a really low noise level (lower even than high end systems), 96Khz/24 mixing, several digital connectors... and, most importantly for me, 5.1 analog outputs. But I don't use soundfonts anymore, and the built-in DSP is superfluous and less flexible than VST effect processors.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Sound blasters are gaming cards... they are ok. but for the same price or even less you can get better recording cards.... Bottom end m-audio will beat the sound blaster hands down. I grew out of my sound blaster card very quickly

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I beg to disagree. I have used my Soundblaster Live card together with the KX drivers for a couple of years now and apart from lacking multiple in/out I manage fine.

I have used a soundblaster Audigy in the past and had some perfectly good results! I think if you find something that works OK for you, then use it! The SB has lots of superflous effects on it but you don't have to use them! I bought myself an M-Audio card for a considerable amount of money, but it would not work with my VIA chipset, just sounded like bacon frying! I swapped it for the card I use now which is a Yamaha sw1000xg. This card suits me fine for the type of recording I do. I still have my Audigy in the machine and I use it on occasion. If I were thinking of recording a band, then I would have to consider moving up a few notches on the soundcard ladder!

I beg to disagree. I have used my Soundblaster Live card together with the KX drivers for a couple of years now and apart from lacking multiple in/out I manage fine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry didn;t get across what i meant.... i used used the sound blaster cards for a about 1 year. It does record pretty well and we have got some fantastic results out of it. But the AD - DA convertors aren't anywhere near that of a bottom of the range pro card. You can only tell the difference in cards once you move up a level. then you cant go back...

Plus the soundblaster range doesn't record at true 24 bit.

Sorry didn;t get across what i meant.... i used used the sound blaster cards for a about 1 year. It does record pretty well and we have got some fantastic results out of it. But the AD - DA convertors aren't anywhere near that of a bottom of the range pro card. You can only tell the difference in cards once you move up a level. then you cant go back...

Plus the soundblaster range doesn't record at true 24 bit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, mine doesn't record at 24 bit at all :-) ... Yes - I guess I'll be switching when I buy new gear too. I'd like to have it all on a laptop, next time.

Well, mine doesn't record at 24 bit at all :-) ... Yes - I guess I'll be switching when I buy new gear too. I'd like to have it all on a laptop, next time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

there are some great firewire and USB sound cards around these days. It takes alot of processor power away using an external card. We use the edirol fa101 and m-audio 18/14. Both are crystal clear and both around the £300 mark you are getting great value for money. The only thing is because there are so clear they sometimes make other pieces of kit sound bad as you start hearing things you couldn't on the sound blaster!!

there are some great firewire and USB sound cards around these days. It takes alot of processor power away using an external card. We use the edirol fa101 and m-audio 18/14. Both are crystal clear and both around the £300 mark you are getting great value for money. The only thing is because there are so clear they sometimes make other pieces of kit sound bad as you start hearing things you couldn't on the sound blaster!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's always a downside! ;)

I remember when I switched from my old 4 Track to the PC. Took me ages to get a decent recording!