Your Ad Could Be Here

8-track (plus) simultaneous recording to PC

hello. currently i'm using the following gear:

Behringer 8 channel desktop mixer http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHMX802A

Event Echo Gina 20 bit 2 x 6 sound-card

Win XP P4 w/ Sonic Foundry's Vegas 4.0

using this setup, i am only able to record 2 tracks simultaneously, which especially limits the flexibility of isolating drum tracks during mixdown

overdubs w/ POD work fine, but i'd like to be able to isolate the Kick and snare from the rest of the kit, so i figure that i need to be able to in fact record the seperate drum mics on seperate tracks simultaneously.

If i were to upgrade to Echo's Layla, I am still going to need mic pre's for each of it's 8 1/4" inputs, as although the Behringer has nice mic pre's built in, i cannot get the signal out of the individual channles-- only the left/ right main outs resulting in a left/ right stereo track (i.e. essentially, i have capability of only two independent audio sources to send to the soundcard from my mixer, or 3 if i configure an aux send)

does anyone have a cost effective solution for sending 4+ mics into the PC, w/ or without a Layla.

Vegas and my P4 can handle the multiple track simultaneous recordings. i just need a way to get it in there.

i appreciate any suggestions. please keep in mind that i'm a consumer on a tight budget.

Hey

What sort of budget are you talking? Most Sound card break out boxes are pretty expensive, and using individual pre-amps wouldn't be too cheap either.

The best solution, with the most versatility might be to get a budget desk with channel outs (like a Spirit of some kind: http://www.soundcraft.com/product_sheet.as...p?product_id=25, although this may be more than you need)

Cheers

John

John,

Thanks! I think you hit the nail on the head... assuming that your suggesting the SoundCraft mixer to be used in conjunction with a Layla?

It's definitely not more than i need, and to my surprise, it's reasonably priced!

--Jeff

Hi

And welcome to Songstuff!

Yep, I meant to use it in conjunction with the Layla. I have this desk, and it's pretty good, and pretty versatile.

Glad to help!

Cheers

John

• 4 months later...
To do what you want to do you need a soundcard that will take more than 2 channels at the same time like a Delta 1010.

from what i've read in the specs, the delta 1010 does not solve the problem any more than a Layla, available at a fraction of the price.

in the case of my application, some type of external mic pres are required to get the desired signal to the soundcard.

the only all-in-one solution i've found is the Focusrite Octopre, which is a bit out of my budget range.