Your Ad Could Be Here

One Post Late, But.. Hello. :-)

The name's Rob. I've made an account on here long ago, but forgot the details to it. I'm fourteen turning fifteen in may, and I'm an aspiring musician. I have no instrumental skills, but I write songs and sing very well. I'm going to wait until I'm around eighteen or so before I really get serious with my musical goals, as by then I'll have plenty of pieces written for when I scrounge a band together and start playing. (I already have a band name picked out, too. :P )

So, I'm fourteen, write and sing, and aspire to form a band. What else is there for me to say.. ? Hmm.. I ride flatland BMX, which takes a lot of effort and patience, as it's possible to spend an hour or two a day riding my bike practicing the same trick only to get it somewhat consistent after several months. But I live for the feeling of accomplishment, and I'm proud to say I'm a flatlander.. Not many can get into it. They think it's boring or too hard or dangerous. (Not exactly dangerous or boring..)

Anyways, I'm *very* lazy unless I'm doing something I have particular interests in. School? Bleh, I'm barely getting by, I'd think. Not something to be proud about, but I honestly don't want to waste my childhood away reading textbooks and solving quadramapolatic linear polynomilic equations just to get a "decent job"(And, sadly, quadramapolatic linear polnomilic equations probably exsist. Hehe..) doing the same old thing every day over and over again until I'm eighty just to say I've made a million dollars when actors and pop singers, rappers and the like are making that much in less than a week for doing a fraction of a fraction of a fraction's worth of the work I'd have done. Hell, a janitor in a school does more work than an entertainer. And, honestly, It's fine that entertainers get so much, but at the same time, they should've really care so much about money and just worry about the music, expressing themselves, ect..

I'd rather be poor and calm and happy, than overworked with an "average" life. Hell, I'm already poor. My family's main worry is the rent, and he's sixty. I'm sure plenty of people would think that he'd have a house by now. Sadly, he was a gambler for a good portion of his life, and my mother either had no clue, or was stepped on as he had a temper.. I'm sure others here could've had the same problems, and I sympathize.

Anyways, I'd honestly like to get to know the people that frequent this fine place. I've lurked around here for quite awhile without registering, even when I first registered an account, just reading things that intrigued me. I'm ready to actually participate when I can, which may not be always.

If anyone would like to have a chat on MSN or AIM, just message me. Don't be put off by my age, as I'm very mature and intelligent for my age, despite my school grades. :-[ Especially if you wish to talk about songwriting, as I'd love to learn more or learn with someone else and assist each other. I know my writing isn't perfect, but I already have the intelligence and mind for it.. Just need the actual lyrical-crafting skills. OR if you just wish to talk and get to know me more, I'm usually always on and waiting. Honestly, I'd like some feedback on my idea for the band name that I'll use in the future.

So, there you have it. The text brick wall of china. :D

YAY!!! Finally someone my age!! ;D:worship2::yahoo: Lol well I would be more concerned about you thinking i'm immature. I'm 13, not to amazing at school either :P I'd like to talk to you on MSN I always like making more friends. Most of my friends I only talk to on msn, sadly :-[ Quite a few of them very rarely get on. But you can add me, mine is **REMOVED** what is yours?

~TIMOTHY~

solving quadramapolatic linear polynomilic equations just to get a "decent job

Aint they the worst? Never did me any good! I never had much of an education either, being kicked out of school at 15. But what the hell! I survived by going from one dead end job to another.

^_^ Welcome to Songstuff.

Not against the rules Timothy, but not the best idea to place your email address in any post. It could be harvested by spamming nerds and sold on untill your inbox is so full of junk, you'll never be able to open it! I would suggest you wait until our newcomer has posted ten posts, then you can contact him via the PM option in his profile. Nice and safe! :)

Welcome to songstuff! I respectfully suggest that you do not wait. It's not like everything will magically suddenly happen. Find some friends, get something going -- if for no other reason than gaining experience. Seriously. Never put off anything that relates to a dream. The muse doesn't wait.

Yes, but my voice is still maturing as I'm still young. I'm definetly going to play at open mic spots and all of that, but I honestly don't see myself getting too far as I am, not because of lack of vocal skill, but because I still sound like a kid in highschool. I want the experience for when I try to get myself noticed, and the songwriting helps for when that time comes. Preparing myself now for later. 8)

And, Tim, I'll PM you my email for MSN. Not sure if I need ten posts, but if I do, I'll get 'em in the next day or so. I'd rather not spam to get there, so be patient, friend. And, trust me, although I CAN talk like a mature intellect, I can be a retard minutes later. Immaturity can be fun. [smiley=rockin.gif]

Steve.. Your lifestyle sounds adventurous and exciting. ??? Why did you get kicked out? Or was it by choice?

Yes, Kenny, I'll keep an eye on that Timothy guy.. Shifty guy.. :P

And, yeah, John. I've been trying to learn how to play the harmonica with a cheap metallic one, but I haven't found many guides to techniques and practice drills that I could really figure out. And, I'm either going to learn how to play the piano or the guitar, as I would like to have some power over how the songs sound. I like fairly slow, melodic music in a song. Just my preference, of course..

And hello, Rohan, Park, Steve, and Anne. :)

Anne, I live around New York. (The more you know! :P )

Yes, but my voice is still maturing as I'm still young. I'm definetly going to play at open mic spots and all of that, but I honestly don't see myself getting too far as I am, not because of lack of vocal skill, but because I still sound like a kid in highschool. I want the experience for when I try to get myself noticed, and the songwriting helps for when that time comes. Preparing myself now for later. 8)

And, Tim, I'll PM you my email for MSN. Not sure if I need ten posts, but if I do, I'll get 'em in the next day or so. I'd rather not spam to get there, so be patient, friend. And, trust me, although I CAN talk like a mature intellect, I can be a retard minutes later. Immaturity can be fun. [smiley=rockin.gif]

Steve.. Your lifestyle sounds adventurous and exciting. ??? Why did you get kicked out? Or was it by choice?

Yes, Kenny, I'll keep an eye on that Timothy guy.. Shifty guy.. :P

And, yeah, John. I've been trying to learn how to play the harmonica with a cheap metallic one, but I haven't found many guides to techniques and practice drills that I could really figure out. And, I'm either going to learn how to play the piano or the guitar, as I would like to have some power over how the songs sound. I like fairly slow, melodic music in a song. Just my preference, of course..

And hello, Rohan, Park, Steve, and Anne. :)

Anne, I live around New York. (The more you know! :P )

Well if you like slow pace, melodic music I would suggest piano and then learn guitar. You know what they say "the piano is like the perfect first instrument and if you know how to play piano every other instrument will become easier". Nothing like random immaturity bursting out of no where XD :P Hmm no one has ever called me shifty before ??? Weird and disturbing but never disturbing :o

~TIMOTHY~

Yeah, and I need serious help with my songwriting. It really sucks. Really bad. Anyone here willing to help with that? :s

I can't think of anything to write about, honestly. I take random words and revolve my song around them, usually getting an idea for a song from a single word.

Take the word "Candlewax".. I'd think of the attributes and qualities of candlewax and apply them to a person or situation or something. Not sure if it makes sense. I might actually use that word for something, if I ever get better at writing. ???

Yeah, and I need serious help with my songwriting. It really sucks. Really bad. Anyone here willing to help with that? :s

I can't think of anything to write about, honestly. I take random words and revolve my song around them, usually getting an idea for a song from a single word.

Take the word "Candlewax".. I'd think of the attributes and qualities of candlewax and apply them to a person or situation or something. Not sure if it makes sense. I might actually use that word for something, if I ever get better at writing. ???

Starting a song with the thought of a word isn't that retarted. I did that once myself and I think it turned out pretty good (atleast in my opinion :P ). Is what I usually do when starting to write something is either a melody in my head or first start out with a meaning. Don't be afraid to write something even if other people will think it's not good or dumb. If you think it's good and your having fun with it then that should be good enough. However if your trying to become a professional musician/song writer then i'd try to put some concideration into other people's opinion. But not too much cause because there is a difference between talent and entertainment, loving it or just not relating to the genre. I don't really know what else I can say to help you write. But the more you write and the more you post on this site and the more you review other people's work you may get inspired by someone else and make something amazing ;) . Some of my songs became alot better cause of the people that helped me. I salute you McnaughtonPark, Thelevelers, Carnival, Startingthend, Doriadeb and whoever else i've forgotten :worship2:

My comment was an ironic view of the impetousness of youth! Stop assing around and get an education. Everything else comes after. Believe me, it's easier to get it now than it will be later. Your ambitions are laudible, but reality is a hard mistress. Don't wish your life away!

Reading the things you post, it creeps me out, because it's like I'm reading something I posted in the past to myself in the future . . . and then you're name is messageinabottle . . . . good thing I never lived in New York. Where to start. I'm 22, and I didn't finish high school. I don't recommend it, but know that I was eighteen when I left, and I really needed to start working to support myself and find a place to live at the time. It still wasn't an excuse, though, I made my choice. The key, though, is that even if you think you could be happy working a crap job and balancing your D.I.Y. musical passions "on the side" (which is exactly what I do), that still means you could be happy putting some effort into school and balancing your D.I.Y. musical passions on the side. Believe it or not, the power to love the life you're living is always in your hands, it just takes effort and desire for peace. I work as a floorman in a nursing home, which is basically a janitor. It's good exercise, and it forces me to keep a positive, studious attitude, but it would be nice if I was, say, in college and doing the music thing. Or trade school, there's definitely a shortage of trade workers now. The question is, are menial labor and music really the only things you're good at? That sucks if they are. Most people are more broad than that, and you probably are too. As for waiting till you're eighteen, trust me, life will do that for you. You just work your ass off getting there, writing, learning to play, and remember to just jam with people. Learn some simple chords, or just throw your lyrics over top something and see how it comes out. Have confidence in yourself, and just put it out there. It's hard, I know. No one ever really wanted to play with me, and although I loved the punk scene around me, at that time in my life, the age you're at, I was just too self-conscious to play three-chord-wonder songs (like that wouldn't be "good enough"). I learned a lot of open chord stuff, and a lot of it was melancholy and mid-tempo in nature. I'm trying to say, being fourteen is always being fourteen, and your job now is to express what it's like as best you can. I know what it is to have a good vocabulary and a creative, intelligent mind, but feel trapped in this state of fourteeness. But it's not something to worry about, embrace being fourteen, keep a sense of humor, and be honest. I really feel like I understand. Even the way you write songs is the way I started. More like rhythmic collage metaphors than traditional narratives. You say you don't know what to write about, but that indicates that you must have some inner need to write. That's the spark that makes a songwriter. So when you get that burning excited feeling in your gut, remember, that's the song. It's growing inside you, and you have to care for it. Close your eyes and envision it, then just relax and let the words flow out. As you do this, again and again, start to focus on keeping the syllables in a similar rhythm and consistency from line to line, and focus on rhyming multiple words in each line. But don't worry about it, just enjoy the process. Playing open mics is a great idea, too. Just love what you're doing, and read as much as you can, both fiction and non-fiction. Learn about music theory, chord structures, philosophy, history, art, human relationships, everything. Give yourself a broad background from which to draw from, and remember that your own experiences are history too, and they are the most important history to you and your songs. And have fun, beeeyyizziytch.