Your Ad Could Be Here

Songwriting Advice

That's some resource, thank you! I'll be working my way through that list.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I don't know if this is in any of those articles but I once watched an Open University programme on composition, which said the most memorable songs follow a familiar pattern or template: the first two lines are the same or similar; the third line has the highest note in the melody; the fourth line might revisit the highest note or get close to it, before resolving back down.

Think Happy Birthday - the trad arr one, not any of the pretenders to its crown. It's sung the world over and instantly memorable, so kids can sing it. And it follows the template perfectly.

I noted the genius of Cole Porter for the line, "How strange the change from major to minor," in Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye, where the chords change from major to minor. I noticed that song also follows the template.

I roll my eyes whenever I hear a verse which just repeats the same line four times. Not every great song follows the template but as Rickie Lee Jones once said, "You can't break the rules 'till you know how to play the game."

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Glammerocity said:

I don't know if this is in any of those articles but I once watched an Open University programme on composition, which said the most memorable songs follow a familiar pattern or template: the first two lines are the same or similar; the third line has the highest note in the melody; the fourth line might revisit the highest note or get close to it, before resolving back down.

Think Happy Birthday - the trad arr one, not any of the pretenders to its crown. It's sung the world over and instantly memorable, so kids can sing it. And it follows the template perfectly.

I noted the genius of Cole Porter for the line, "How strange the change from major to minor," in Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye, where the chords change from major to minor. I noticed that song also follows the template.

I roll my eyes whenever I hear a verse which just repeats the same line four times. Not every great song follows the template but as Rickie Lee Jones once said, "You can't break the rules 'till you know how to play the game." 

Hey Glammer, this is a great way to describe it. thanks so much! i'm gonna try it. 🙂

• Like 1

I heard Nik Kershaw's I Won't Let the Sun Go Down on Me and was reminded of those songs that aren't so much ripoffs as  obvious tips of the hat to classics, which can always be a useful starting point when facing writer's block. The first one I thought of was Goldfrapp's Ride a White Horse, which was obviously from T Rex's Ride a White Swan. Then I thought of Katy Perry's California Gurls. I could go on but you get the idea.

The quote, "Talent borrows; genius steals," is often misattributed to Oscar Wilde. It is more likely to have derived from TS Elliot's quote:

"Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal; bad poets deface what they take and good poets make it into something better, or at least something different."

Take a walk on the Xerox side.

Edited by Glammerocity

Senses: always good to refer to - I Saw Her Standing There, Heard It Through the Grapevine, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Touch Me in the Morning, A Taste of Honey.

Pronouns: I read that Lennon and McCartney always deliberately put them in their early song titles - She Loves You, From Me to You, Please Please Me, I Wanna Hold Your Hand, etc etc etc.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

My 6 best song writing tips have would be 

1. Know your harmonies

2. Find your hook

3. Be familiar but also bring something fresh and new

4. Don’t be predictable, the element of surprise is your secret weapon
5. Small melody repetitions are your friends
6. Be Simple

The One Submit Team 
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I came across this site through their interview with Chris Difford out of Squeeze: https://www.songwritersonprocess.com

I'm about to read Chris Robinson out of The Black Crowes. He reads a LOT of books, which the site should note have worked for hundreds of years with 10-12 words per line, not 30. It might be better on a phone. On a monitor, adjust your browser width.

• 1 year later...