Your Ad Could Be Here

Do Vocals Matter So Much?

Hi,

This might seem quite strange, but I actually prefer listening to someone with really bratty vocals than an absolutely brilliant, hitting-all-the-notes perfect singer.

If the music is good but the singer isn't brilliant, but he has a unique voice, does it matter?

I am of course referring to my voice, I have no shame to admit.

I'll openly admit that I can't hit every note, but I can hold a harmony, and I've been told I have a unique voice.

So, essentially what I'm asking is what matters more? The voice or the music and lyrics?

All of it matters, Jules. But if 1 person thinks a vocal is superb, that does'nt mean everyone will. To put it another way, the vocals / music / lyrics should come as a package to tell a story or make a point etc. If the mix is good, then the listener will concentrate on the latter and not on the individual parts that comprise the track.

So, a strong rustic vocal can completely ruin a soft toned ballad, for example. And that ballad would not communicate properly if it were sung inappropriately.

:) Alistair loves Neil Young. I hate him because I can't stand the sound of his voice. That doesn't mean he's a crap singer! Just that I don't like his voice! Use what you have. Thats what I say! Sing like nobody's listening, dance like nobody's watching! :)

As a certain Antipodian songstress recently said to me!

I'm glad you brought this up Jules, as I kind of wanted to bring up something along the same lines. In my opinion both as a vocal musician and a listener, I think vocals are essential. But as Steve was saying there are two types of 'quality' regarding vocals music. One has to do with the overall sound of a voice, and one has to do with the more technical aspect (stay tuned for more on this).

Bottom line in regards to the original question.... a song can be brilliant with great lyrics and a wonderful melody and instrumentation that is first rate, but if the vocals are lacking it will turn me off in a heartbeat.

Hey

Funny no one really mentioned feeling.

For me vocals is primarily about feeling, and the mood of the music.

As far as crap vocals go, I'm not generally fond of them if the tuning is trash. I like raw voices, scratchy tones, rounded etc. but if the pitch is crap I won't listen for long. Equally a flat emotional vocal leaves me cold.

Cheers

John

Depends how out of tune the vocals are. Hendrix, Dylan and to a less extent neil young often put in great performances over key perfect vocals. Because they are close enough they get away with them and you are not drawn to the off keyness because the perforamce outways it.

It depends on the song. Singer songwriter music imo has more scope for performance over perfect pitch - but if say someone like a boy/girl band were not pitch perfect then the song would instantly fail.

Music i dont think should ever be always be about being perfect - sometimes being perfect can be stale.

What kind of music do you play? Should help work out if your vocals will work or not etc.

John brought up an interesting point that actually I was thinking about yesterday (but not while I was online). I despise listening to so many of the recent crop of pop-tarts because so many of them sound so similar and like they're bored out of their minds.

John brought up an interesting point that actually I was thinking about yesterday (but not while I was online). I despise listening to so many of the recent crop of pop-tarts because so many of them sound so similar and like they're bored out of their minds.

I call that 'stylised', technical singing, very popular in what passes for R 'N' B these days.