Your Ad Could Be Here

Singing

OK. If you've heard any of my songs, you'll know that I sing quite quietly and softly! This is for 2 reasons.

1. If I sing with any kind of projection, I get a tickle in my throat and start coughing.
  2. I go out of tune quite severely!

I've always had this problem, ever since I started singing way back! I have tried practising and singing alone to the radio and CDs. But I can only manage to keep going if I sing softly! What can I do?

I have to agree with you - I can't sing loud to save myself - (I can hardly sing quietly either, but go figure) but when I sing softly or practically in a whisper, then I sound good enough, as soon as I start trying to sing "properly" I fail.

I'll be interested in the answers to this thread.

I'm wondering if it might be your breathing technique that could use some refinement. Question: When you have this problem are you usually playing guitar while singing? That might be affecting your posture, which makes it very hard to have proper support and breathe from lower than your chest, which in turn affects the strength of your voice.

In the last instance (Deaths Sweet Kiss) It was just me standing quite comfortably in front of the mic with no guitar! I tried to project my voice a bit but after a few bars, I get this horrible tickle and end up either trying to cough or retch! So I have to sing in a softer tone.

I pee OK as well. Would hot pee have an effect then?

i doubt that......lol.....

so far you have said that when you try at higher pitch you fail......you throat doesn't support you......in that case, if you are really willing to do at higher pitch, you need to practice much....

i don't know if it is possible or how it sounds but try indian classicle music for practice......the ups and downs in "RAGAs" will definately help you ...... personally i have taken training for almost 5 years......but unfortunatly i dont remember anything now......but i tell you it will sure help you....

i have the same problem but that is becoz of hormonal changes.....my teachers say that it would set back again in few years.....

i hope that would help you....

... my poor neighbours ... what I have put them through in the past six years.

Anyway, Steve - I think your issue is a lack of regularly rehearsals of your voice. Do scales, man. Most importantly: whenever you feel that tickle in your throat: Stop! Take a day, rehearse some more the next day. The larynx is not like your biceps - you need to go a bit easy on it. I guarantee regular scales will help both your stamina and your tuning. Just use 20-30 minutes 2-3 times a week for a couple of months and you will see that you will improve. Regularity is the key!

Edited by FinnArild